NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bristol observatory

Nick82

The Failand site has not just one but in fact two observatories. One of which contains a 12" truss reflector on an equatorial motorised mount (no Goto!) housed in 12' dome which can host a number of observers but if I'm honest, the mirror could do with a bit of a re-silver. I remember shining a bright torch through the back of this mirror once and instantly turned the inside of the doom roof into an impromptu planetarium! The other observatory is more of a "roll on- roll off" type of setup but which contains an 18" dob which is certainly worth a visit to look through. On one occasion when I observed with it whilst looking at M42, I could definitely detect colour (a faint green) in the nebulosity. One of the unfortunate difficulties of the Failand site is that in recent years the onset of light pollution in surrounding areas and businesses has meant that it's skies are not as useful as they once were for observing DSO's unless particularly bright like Orions's. If your local certainly its certainly worth a visit, especially to sample the views of the 18".

James

• 2 weeks later...

Archived