NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Back to Basics?

FLO

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate that for many, GoTo in urban environments may seem a great idea, on around a 5" Reflector / Mak, and can often give great views on the planets and Moon, and maybe some of the brighter DSOs. However, from personal experience, 130mm is a very difficult aperture to work with in a urban environment, all the light pollution and the small light gathering power make most DSOs extremely faint, and they are only really visible through averted vision. At 8", you do gather more light pollution, but you also gather more light for those DSOs, making it a very good option for urban observing. In addition, if it's just going to go in your back garden, it doesn't need to be ultra portable.

Probably because every newcomer who asks about a first scope on here is pointed towards a 200 dob..... LOL

To a certain point, that's true, yes :) But to be fair when budget, space and ambition are consistent with buying and using one, it's hard to beat. If someone said they only had £150 to spend or they really wanted to get into planetary imaging I'm sure that wouldn't be the answer they received...

James

I'm not slating it, I myself have said to many newcomers considering an 80mm achro on a goto to stop and consider an 8" or 10" dob.

If you're visual then there really is no substitute for aperture. Of course big aperture and goto that actually works would be great, I got half the deal with my 14" synscan...

I love my Skyliner 200p Dob! Simple to use and gives great views!

I prefer manuals to GOTOs because I think half the fun of astronomy is searching. You get much more exited looking at a faint fuzzy when you found it yourself.

Now it's time to furniture hop around your house for your presents :rolleyes: Happy Birthday, Ant (the other one) :laugh:

Archived