Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion using a handheld camera

Thanks all, I think it has more to give too I just need to refine my technique. I am going to try 15 seconds at lower iso with the tracking on, not sure the EQ3-2 tracking is up to it but nothing ventured nothing gained, I am also going to go looking for other deepsky objects I maight be able to image :grin: I just love astronomy...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all, I think it has more to give too I just need to refine my technique. I am going to try 15 seconds at lower iso with the tracking on, not sure the EQ3-2 tracking is up to it but nothing ventured nothing gained, I am also going to go looking for other deepsky objects I maight be able to image :grin: I just love astronomy...

Did you get a chance to take more pictures? Would be interested to see them.

Al

Hi all, Yes you are so right expensive equipment is not nessesary for this hobby. It does depend on what you want to achieve, for exaample I will never get the kind of images this way that appear in books but I do get some satisfaction knowing I did it all with second hand cheap equipment from ebay. Anyway I bought a new camera (£36 delievered from ebay) and took a shot of orion again and this time in the top left hand corner I just caught a part of the flame nebulae (my next target) I have also inclueded an earlier shot of plaidies taken with the older camera. Reason for new camera is "it was cheap" also it has 18 x optical zoom and will go to iso 6400 which i have found works great with short 1-4 second exposures, the below pics were all sub 1.5 seconds exposure no stacking :grin:

OrionXmasDay.jpg

PleiadesPatialNebulosity.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived