NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SPC900NC webcam software

kevthered

I've had a Philips SPC900NC webcam for a couple of years, and I finally want to start using it to have a go at imaging Jupiter.

Unfortunately, the software that came with the webcam (VLounge) won't run. The shortcut's still there on my desktop, but it looks like I may have accidentally deleted the software thinking it was something I no longer use !

Is there any other software available that I can download and use with the webcam, or am I going to have to purchase another copy of VLounge from Philips ?

Thanks

Kev

did sharpcap work in the end mate?

I've installed it and I'm going to give it a go tonight.

I just haven't got a clue what settings to use, so I'm not expecting much success.

I've read somewhere to keep the gain below 50, but there are an awful lot more settings available and I don't know where to start.

I was considering just starting with the default settings, but the frame rate is set at 30 fps, and I've been told this should actually be either 5 fps or 10 fps, so I'm thinking if these settings are wrong, then everything else may be too !!

This isn't going to be easy !!!

Turn the gamma down to 0. Brightness should probably be somewhere in the middle; if it's close to 63 leave it there. Same with saturation I think. Use 10fps. There's little point in going higher because you'll lose data to compression.

After that it's mainly a question of tweaking exposure and gain to get a decent image. I usually set exposure to maximum and open up the histogram tool so I can adjust the gain until the graph comes about two thirds of the way to the right, but different settings may (almost certainly will) be required for different scopes.

You may find it tricky to even get Jupiter on the camera sensor to start with. Temporarily pushing the brightness and gain up to full may help if you're way out of focus and can't see the image as a result.

James

Here it is. My first go at imaging Jupiter. The result isn't great, but the main thing is I've got my head round using my webcam software and Registax, so hopefully things will improve with practise. I'll also have to download Photoshop or something similar to enhance the images more, as I've got nothing like that at the moment.

Thanks again for all the advice.

FirstJupitercropped.bmp

nice 1st go mate!!! your right it can only get easier mate, AP programs are not easy at all to get your head around things are they :(

ive tended not to be doing much stacking since ive upgraded my 1000d to a 7d :( mostly because i dont like to leave the 7d outside too much to the point dew is dripping off things :( i realllly wish i kept my old 1000d so i could have modded it for AP :( DOH! :(

cant wait to see more mate! keep up the good work

Cheers guys, I definately wouldn't have been able to get this far without the help I've had on here, so thanks very much again for you help.

Hopefully I'll be able to add some improved pic's over the coming months, providing we get a few clear nights of course !

I've attached a png version of your file so it displays in-line. I've also attached one I've tweaked in gimp to balance out the colours a little (and flipped it horizontally so it's the "right" way around).

post-10871-0-74685100-1354408761_thumb.ppost-10871-0-70599700-1354408959_thumb.p

Normally though I don't touch my planetary images outside Registax. Looking at the histograms I wonder if you might need the gain up a bit, or perhaps the saturation was messing up the colouring. Did you save the camera settings when you did the capture? (There's an option in SharpCap to do that.)

James

I've attached a png version of your file so it displays in-line. I've also attached one I've tweaked in gimp to balance out the colours a little (and flipped it horizontally so it's the "right" way around).

post-10871-0-74685100-1354408761_thumb.ppost-10871-0-70599700-1354408959_thumb.p

Normally though I don't touch my planetary images outside Registax. Looking at the histograms I wonder if you might need the gain up a bit, or perhaps the saturation was messing up the colouring. Did you save the camera settings when you did the capture? (There's an option in SharpCap to do that.)

James

Hi James

Thanks for improving my image. I clearly have a lot to learn !

I have saved my settings in Sharpcap but I'm at work till 11pm tonight so I can't tell you what they are. I'll let you know in the next day or so and hopefully you can suggest some adjustments that will improve things.

Thanks again

Kev

Archived