Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

£200 to spend - which option?

pringlepowell

Thanks to all. I'm more of a DS guy than planetary, so I've read that having that IR light coming through really helps with detail on long exposures. I have a light pollution filter but didn't notice an exceptional difference, suggesting mine might not be too bad, plus you lose a lot of starlight in clusters with an LP filter.

Anyone know whee I can find some comparison shots between modded/unmodded?

.. I have a light pollution filter but didn't notice an exceptional difference, suggesting mine might not be too bad, plus you lose a lot of starlight in clusters with an LP filter.

Really? Are you sure about the effectiveness of your LP filter, especially given your location in Maidstone? I would be very surprised if you took a 3 minute exposure with you DSLR, without the LP filter and it wan't noticeable orange. However with the LP filter the same 3 minute exposure would have no orange tint all. You can do a crude test to see the effectiveness of the LP filter by looking a a street light through it. Don't expect to see the light to disappear, but you should see most of the scene illuminated by the light will no longer be visible.

The street lights DO disappear with a CLS filter - I've tried it. I've got a clip-in Astronomik CLS CCD filter. Street lights disappear completely and you're left with the white house lights and advertising signs.

Archived