NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Atik 314L+ image capture - which software?

Gina

I'm planning to buy an Atik 314L+ mono astro CCD camera (with filter wheel) and wondering which software would be best. I'm currently using DSLRs and APT so this is a new area for me.

i use the atik artemis capture software that comes with the camera its very good (well i think so), nice and straight forward which is all you need, it will only control atik products so if your going to get a different brand of efw then you might want to look at Nebulosity which isn't too expensive

i also have asrtoart, maximdl and the new APT but haven't ever felt the need to use them

i'm going to give APT a go next time out with its new CCD control to see how it works, your going to love the 314L+ Gina the first time i used it i pointed the scope at the elephant trunk neb 10 sec loop binned 2x2 and you can actually see your target on the screen it makes framing so much easier :grin:

i use the atik artemis capture software that comes with the camera its very good (well i think so), nice and straight forward which is all you need, it will only control atik products so if your going to get a different brand of efw then you might want to look at Nebulosity which isn't too expensive

i also have asrtoart, maximdl and the new APT but haven't ever felt the need to use them

i'm going to give APT a go next time out with its new CCD control to see how it works, your going to love the 314L+ Gina the first time i used it i pointed the scope at the elephant trunk neb 10 sec loop binned 2x2 and you can actually see your target on the screen it makes framing so much easier :grin:

Thank you :) Having read reviews of SX and Atik filter wheels, it looks like the EFW2 is worth the extra so I can use the supplied Artemis software. I've been trying to find info on it. I presume it can be set up to do an imaging run including changing filters unattended. I have been using APT for DSLR control and scheduling.

Thank you :) Having read reviews of SX and Atik filter wheels, it looks like the EFW2 is worth the extra so I can use the supplied Artemis software. I've been trying to find info on it. I presume it can be set up to do an imaging run including changing filters unattended. I have been using APT for DSLR control and scheduling.

here is the manual for the 314 gina it covers the artemis software as well. short answer is yes you can setup an imaging run and leave it too do its thing

http://www.atik-cameras.com/downloads/getting-started/AtikQuickstartGuide.pdf

I like Artemis and have always come back to it, despite having Maxim and being able to capture in that programme as well. It is simple and straightforward in my opinion. It controls the camera temperature as well as capture. You will be able to run an Atik filterwheel off it as well so your sequence generator will just for off as many subs as you tell it then change filters and fire off some more.

It gets a thumbs up from me.

Archived