Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywacher AZ goto mount

I have one of these mounts and it is excellent for observational use. Your 130 Newt would be at the top of its load bearing but as this mount can be supplied as part of a complete system with this instrument, it should be fine. The attachment is via a standard 'Vixen/Synta' dovetail clamp.

You won't need an 'L' bracket but the Vixen 'Shoe' is not installed at the centre of gravity of the telescope with a 2" diagonal and eyepiece installed so I attached mine to a small length of Vixen compatible dovetail bar so that I could position it at the centre of gravity point. I also used a spacer to ensure that the focus lock knob could still be used. Getting the 'scope properly balanced is vital for accurate GoTos and ensuring longevity of the drive unit.

One other question if anyone can help. Assuming I mount the astromaster 130EQ to it. What about the addition of a Celestron Barlow at another 250gm and a Baader HP EP at another 400gm. This will take the total weight to 4.3KG although in fairness the mount iis rated to 5KG.

Just a little concerned that this might unbalance the mount a little with the added weight to one side

Steve

Archived