Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Effective, but cheap DSLR for astro imaging?

Letchy

Hey guys - I plan on trying to start astrophotography once I do acquire my scope.

I am wondering what DSLR camera will give the most bang for my buck at a relatively low price (anything bellow £200). I have been looking at the Canon 1000D, and looked at the Nikon D80 but am leaning toward the Canon.... I plan to capture anything that I may be able to from DSOs, to planets and lunar objects. I want to leave the camera itself unmodded too.

Any help will be appreciated! Thank you.

The 1000D has been good for me.

Nice and light, good red sensitivity compared to older cameras, even unmodded (I never modded mine), good battery life, loads of software support like APT and DSS. I used it for deep sky, lunar and white light solar (through an appropriate filter). Never got a planetary shot worth posting though but a web cam is cheap enough and does a better job for that sort of thing.

Thank you, Rik.

I will probably look into webcams for planatery imaging. I wish to use the 1000D for everyday photography too, and not just astrononmy so I will probably go for it. :D

Thank you for the advice Pete.

I have a dedicated 1000d which has had the filters removed and is now living in the obsy. I bought it 2nd hand from a dealer on the net for under £200 but at that price, it didn't come with a lens.

The Canons are the best bet as there is a lot of software out there for astro on the EOS. I believe they have released their control codes for developers to play with where others (Nikon, Sony etc.) haven't.

I would check carefully whichever model you buy though. Some older models don't work fully with some of the features. To help you, check the AstroPhotographyTool (APT) website and look for the compatability table. There are some features you want (USB control) and some that are desirable (liveview - although I've never got this to work for me).

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Archived