NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Have i done this right?

A few weeks back i got the HEQ5 syntrek mount, so far i have not put power to the mount, for fear of damaging it from wrong polarity!

This is what i have done....I got a ciggy lighter socket with pre wired cable, i have connected the black wire to negative and the RED wire to positive on the battery (12v 26amp), i will be using the supplied power cable from mount to socket... is this good to go please?

I would support what Peter has recommended that you pick up a cheap meter which is most helpful for checking polarity, voltage and current. Always double check your connections and use colour coded cables, also make sure your plugs are fused to just above the power rating of the equipment being used. You will find that there should be a glass fuse in the tip of the ciggy type plugs, which can be accessed by unscrewing the tip, this can be changed to whatever value is required :)

John.

A fuse may not be quick enough to blow before damage is done.

I'm a RF comms technician and as a side line I repair electronic equipment - the amount of car stereos that I've had to repair because people reverse the polarity of the car wiring is shocking (no pun intended).

By the time the fuse has blown the internal diodes go short circuit which in turn then takes out the more delicate “chips”, then the fuse blows (too late).

The best thing is to always check the polarity, you’ll not get a second chance.

Archived