Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Friday 5.10.07

Azelfafage

Was out for about 90 minutes - I travelled further down the learning curve with the Nexstar & covered the following:

M13

M92

M27

M51

M56

M57

M27

M81/2

Mizar

NGC457

M103

Double-double

M13 & M92 are almost old friends, inexperienced though I am :lol: Some resolution with M92.

Unlike the previous time I viewed it, M27 seemed to have a definite "shape" like an hourglass, but no real detail. I suppose I'm expecting too much with my skies.

M56 - obvious globular, but not resolvable for me.

M57 - Having observed it last session, tried a higher power eyepiece this time, although the result was disappointing and could again be a sky issue - couldn't see any better.

M51 - tried again but still can't see it, it might be just below my local visibility threshold(?) as I continue to find M81/2 without problems.

For a change, tried Mizar which I could get with Alcor in a low-power FOV, making a nice arrangement.

As Cassiopeia was climbing (& nothing in the way to spoil the view) :D, I turned the scope towards it. I remembered it harboured NGC457, which is an easy number to remember (and I'd never looked at this object before). I found it quite enthralling, it reminded me of a plan view of a delta-wing aircraft, with 2 bright tail lights. :lol:

I need to swot up on my research, since for Cassiopeia I remembered NGC457 and M103, but forgot about M52. Perhaps I should laminate some star charts & take them with me :D I moved to M103, but wasn't so taken with that. Not too well defined, & surprised anyone could mistake it for a comet :) , but I believe it was a later addition to the standard "M" catalogue anyway.

I'll target M52 next time I go out.

Finished with the double-double. Was unable to split it cleanly with a 9mm Kellner (x167), both components looked elongated, but achieved a definite split with a 6mm Orthoscopic (x250).

Last time I mentioned the fireworks/bonfire. My big distraction this time was a police helicopter buzzing away towards the E. Then again, it was Friday night :D

Regards,

A

Archived