Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The basic humble solar scope.

garethmob

Recently I poated for what to buy and it seems in nov I might be able to buy all 3. Camera. Scope. Solar. But the basis of which solar I need help

It's got to be a ha scope. And it's either the basic Lunt 35 or a Coronado pst. Both brand new (express pst past build issues)

Pst is around 4-500. Lunt around the same

Does the Lunt have an apparent life span like the pst has

Will I be able to do basic photography with either (I know the pst has issues.

Build quality which is better.

Focuser. I hated my previous pst. Is the new one the same / better/ worse as the Lunt has a proper helical focuser.

Any help or questions please feel free :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my Lunt LS35THa for a very good price second hand. The build quality is excellent, and I find the views very good indeed, but have yet to take images. I do know my SPC900 will (just) not come to focus with it, but I do not yet have a low profile nose piece for it. The helical focuser is OK, but I might replace it with a Borg T-thread, low-profile helical focuser (you can just unscrew the helical focuser of the LS35 without removing any filters). I have not compared it to a PST, but I know several people take very good shots with them.

Hi Gaz, bit late to this thread, but this may help

I'd prefer a proper refractor focuser, but the helical focuser on my L35 works well enough, and I find it less fiddly to focus than the PST.

I don't think you would be disappointed with either the L35 or the PST, unless you make the mistake of looking through something more expensive that is.......... :sad:

I've looked through a Lunt 60 and a Solarscope 50, set up alongside my L35. I can say hand on heart that the prominence detail was very similar in all three, but the detail on the disc was another matter, far more seen in the more expensive scopes. When the double stack unit was fitted to the Lunt 60, WOW !! the disc detail was just amazing.

Life span ? The issues with coating failure on early PSTs has been sorted I think you will find. My L35 came with a 5 year warranty, after nearly 3 years, no problems, and I'd buy it again.

Regards, Ed.

Neat link, bookmarked.:)

I must say the advantage with a PST is the mods you can do after(although I do believe Ken linked to a Lunt build a while back).

The views before and after are quite different and well worth doing later on if you have a PST. Having a solar scope has really saved this years observing for me as well, it sat by the front door until a couple of weeks ago.

Hello Gaz, I have had a PST for 4 years now and use a 7-24mm zoom eyepiece, and if needed a screw in 1.6 barlow. In my opinion the most esential item is a sun shield. I use mine mounted on a Vixen porta mount, just carry the whole mount and scope outside to take advantage of the gaps in the clouds. !! John.

Good point about sun shades. I use my inimitable Tilley hat as portable sun shade. I really only use my Pentax XF8.5mm in my little Lunt. At about 47x it gives all the detail, and the whole disc is shown comfortably. The sol-searcher (brilliant piece of kit from TeleVue) gets the sun in the centre of the FOV very easily.

I used to have a pst which I loved but had to sell when I needed funds for a Uni module fee :( I did have a solar shield too am it was cracking. But like you said the night observing isn't great but the solar and sun has been! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived