Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Case for my C9.25 OTA

As I am getting close to getting back to observing again after my eye op, I am looking for a storage case for my tube and have found a local flight case manufacturer who can make me a bespoke one. Currently the OTA is stored in the bottom of my wardrobe with it's original plastic bag covering it. As I am going to be in and out of the garden with it, I need something more permanent. I have decided not to get the official Celestron one as it is mega expensive. Also I have looked into getting a storage box from B&Q as some people have recommended, but none of them are big enough to fit my C9.25 OTA.

One other thing. Do they need storing vertically or can they be stored horizontally? I know they come boxed up horizontally, but over time does this put extra strain on the mechanism that holds the mirror, or am I just being a bit too pedantic?

I store my C925 horizontally in a big IKEA plastic box. A couple of pillows provide the padding.

http://www.ikea.com/...6319/#/90102971

I have never heard of storing the scope horizontally will strain the mirror support. If anything I think storing vertically will strain the focusing mechanism, because the weight of the SCT mirror is supported by the focusing mechanism when the scope is vertical. Anyway, the scope would have been designed for either, so don't worry about it.

Hey Keith,

Thanks for the heads-up. We have an Ikea half an hours drive away, so I might take a look. Do you keep your Star diagonal and finderscope attached? Hope so otherwise it means extra setting up time (especially re-lining the finderscope up)

Hey Keith,

Just got my ota out and measured it up. Brilliant and I like the fact that there are different sizes for different things and that they are also modular. You have just saved me spending loads on a custom made case.

Thanks a million.

Hey Keith,

Just went to Ikea yesterday and bought one of the boxes. Blimey. They are big, but the ota is big, so it is what it is. Also bought some cheap cushions to add the padding at the bottom and the sides. Fits in perfectly even with the stardiagonal and finderscope attached.

Brilliant solution.

I am looking at something similar for my NEQ6 mount head or maybe using a small, hard type suitcase and stuffing with an old blanket or sleeping bag for padding.

Agreed, the cost of the Peli type flight cases or dedicated astro cases is absurd. I am sure when the word "astro" in mentioned in a product the price is doubled instantly!

Steve

I am looking at something similar for my NEQ6 mount head or maybe using a small, hard type suitcase and stuffing with an old blanket or sleeping bag for padding.

Agreed, the cost of the Peli type flight cases or dedicated astro cases is absurd. I am sure when the word "astro" in mentioned in a product the price is doubled instantly!

Steve

The Peli cases are not astro-specific, they just happen to pamper to our obsession to keep "the precious" as safe and dry as possible. IMO they're prolly overkill unless you're entrusting your scope to airport baggage handlers :D

I'm not entirely sure of their origin, but they're used a lot by the military and other planners of disaster scenarios....for example, many tech/IT setups use them for transporting off-site records/tapes/disks. As is often the case, they're significantly less expensive in the US...

Steve

It depends how much you valued your equipments. Optics are vulnerable to fungus and impact, and having a tough, well padded, dry and sealed container is one of the best defence against them. Using a Pelican case to store £50 worth of kit plossl will be a overkill, but it can be justify if you have several thousand pounds worth of TV Ethoses. Pelican cases are designed to protect expensive equipments. The cost of a pelican case is probably small change compare to what usually goes inside them.

I have seen some German university students built a robotic submarine using a peli case as the pressure vessel. That's how tough and waterproof they are.

The question is do we need that level of protection. For most of us the answer is no.

On the other hand I agree some so call 'astro' case are ridiculously over priced. Like this Celestron C8 case.

http://astronomia.co.uk/index.php/accessories/bags-and-carry-cases/case-nexstar-8-9-11ota.html

I can't believe Celestron wants £420 for a what is clearly just a padded suitcase with a massive logo. I can buy a pelican case large enough for a c8 for 2/3 of that, and the pelican will offer far better protection than that suitcase.

Yeah. The branded Celestron cases are so utterly overpriced. You would have thought that if they were cheaper then they would sell more. Basic scale of economics I would say. I'm sure they don't cost that much to make and I refuse to pay it. And also the Pelicase. Crazy price. If it hadn't been for Keith putting me onto these Ikea boxes, I was close to having a dedicated flightcase made for it. A company in Bradford quoted me £150. I would have actually paid that, but I don't need to now.

Hiya Malc,

Great to hear you're recovering well. I admit to being a cheapskate here my OTA is stored horizontally in its original double lined cardboard box protected by polystyrene bits. I keep the diagonal and capped ep fitted to the OTA to stop entry by dust etc and only have to fit my right angled finder (which is also stored in the box). Been ok this way for the 7 years I have had the 'scope and the box fits nicely into a square corner. Enjoy your viewing, Jupiter will be amazing.

Cheers,

Steve

Hey Steve,

Thanks. Doing ok now. Currently getting used to varifocal glasses, but when I am fully used to them it will be just for swapping eyepieces over, changing settings on the controller etc. When at the eyepiece I won't need them as I will be able to get my focussing from the scope. Glad I have the storage situation sorted now though. Had it stored in the bottom of my wardrobe since I got it, but now I will be out with it whenever I can, I needed a more permanent solution and Keith came up with the Ikea box and it works a treat. And for a fraction of the price as well. Bonus!!!!!

All the best

Archived