Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pampers

Cloudwatcher

Is it only me or do other members find that their astro gear acts as a sought of dust and grime magnet? I have always thought of myself as a reasonably clean kind of bloke. You know, shave almost every day,shower when I remember, that sought of thing. Anyway,the point is that today I had a bit of spare time on my hands and I thought I'd check my scopes over as the last occassion was in early spring. They haven't had much use this year so I thought a quick wipe over wouldn't hurt.

Well,on close inspection all the ones that had seen use looked like they had been through the fingerprint lab at the local nick. Fortunately the glass bits weren't too bad apart from the dust. Where does it come from? Look at the optics at an acute angle and you would think there had been a light fall of snow! Soon got rid of that with a puffer and then a thick but soft makeup brush (don't ask!) and in one case some distilled water. Cleaning the OTAs however was not the easy bit I thought it was going to be. There were marks that proved to be stubborn staines :lol: Where's Barry Silly-Bang when you need him!

To cut a long story short,I remembered seeing a packet of Pampers Sensitive Baby Wipes in the house (again don't ask) so gave them a try. They're brilliant! All the marks and grime 'just lifted off' as they say and the scope looked like new. Honest!

So,all you guys with young'ns, you can do yourself a favour and be in your otherhalf's good books in one go. Come home from work with a packet and say "I saw these love and though they would come in handy for the baby". :D

CW

PS Just added a piccy of cleaned scopes on Stargazrs but can't up load it.

I think my missus would think I had flipped If I said "bought these for the baby" my yougest is 38. Also CW, you really would not like Cillit Bang Barry in your house. I've never heard such a noisy git in my life. I could never reach the Tele controller quick enough, before that irritating voice was screaming out that awful dialogue.

Glad the wipes worked on the OTA's, but I would renage on using them on your optical surfaces. I don't think I needed to tell you that bit though..

By the way. Has Jv offered to share his newly won prize with you?. Lucky old sod heh?. :lol:

Ron. :D

I think my missus would think I had flipped If I said "bought these for the baby" my yougest is 38.

I did have fathers of younger children in mind Ron and your missus would rightly think you had gone bonkers if you used the suggested phrase! Might get her wondering too! :lol:

CW

Depending on the leather a Leather food could be a good idea. But for general cleaning baby wipes will do.

Generally the rule of thumb here is the cheaper the leather the less you have to do to take cae of it. The more expensive leather takes more care.

Avoid radiators like the plague.

Cheapest leather is better for kids.

Jeans are not friends of leather upholstery.

Ant

Avoid radiators like the plague.

Jeans are not friends of leather upholstery.

Thanks Ant, I have some leather food (for bike leathers) and I give a go over occasionally.

Right i'm now off to move the sofa away from the radiator and to change from my jeans into tracksuit bottoms!!! :lol::D

Cheers

Bill £

The problem with Jeans is generally with Jeans that haven't been washed more than once and cream and other light) leathers. The colour bleeds from the jeans to the leather.

Also the little metal studs can harm leather (and fabris sofa's).

Radiators can dry and crack leather. Bike leathers food is good - thats what I used to use.

Ant

I used to do my football boots with Dubbin. Now, that is a long time ago, so Dubbin, like me could be virging on extinction.

Good leather food though?.

Ron.

Oh yes! I remember Dubbin. That was back in the days when football boots were proper boots.Came up to your ankles, had six foot long laces and were nice and heavy too. Not like the slippers they wear today. You could do a proper bit of damage with a boot like that! :lol:

CW

Yeah!, those boots were something else, but what about the ball on a sodden rain soaked day. If you went up to head it from a corner, you made contact with the lace, it was off the park for a few stitches in the napper.

I would love to see two premiere league sides playing a not so friendly, using the kit from the 50's.

On a wet day mind you. :lol:

Archived