Finding Triton

I don't appear to have Triton on my stellarium was wondering if there is a reason/fix for this?

Also, is there any iPhone application for this as well? Just so I can use my phone to try and find it when outside observing as well, thanks.

Hi, I have a Skywatcher 8 inch collapseable telescope, and from research I've done I'm not expecting to see it through my scope.. but thought if I knew where it was that would be a start! Haven't had a clear sky in ages to actually check.

From memory Triton is never brighter than Magnitude 13.5 so in a good dark site Triton should be visible in an 8" scope, although a 10" would be a better proposition. Neptune is reasonably bright and makes an easy object to locate if your looking in the right place. Find Neptune and you will obviously find Triton, the two are not far apart..

Don't expect to resolve a disk though, even large scopes struggle as the moon is only around 2700km and is several billion km from Earth at best..so all you will see is a bright point of light near to Neptune...at the moment Neptune is in Aquarius just north of 33 Iota Aqr

Current Stats (19:00hrs UT) are

Alt/Az:

Alt: 025° 20' 07.4"

Az: 192° 56' 20.3"

Equitorial:

RA: 22° 10.44139

Dec: -11° 54' 32.20"

Archived