Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Whats the best way to attach a dslr to a reflector?

Gohan75

I just put my nikon with a t-2 ring directly to the 2" - > 1.25" adapter (that was bundled with the scope) on the focuser of my SW Explorer, I just needed the T-2 ring.

There is also a possibility to attatch a tube containing an eyepiece in between. I tried this once but didn't get it to work so, might have needed some spacers to reach focus....

I fit the DSLR to a T-ring and screw the T-ring onto a Baader MPCC coma corrector. This acts like a 2" nosepiece and drops into the focuser. You can do the same thing with a T-ring to 2" nosepiece which is doubly handy as you can screw 2" filters onto the front.

Only you can decide if it is worth the money. It does depend what you intend to image. If you are taking single shots of the moon, then probably not. I do long exposure deep sky imaging and I wanted stars that were round all the way across the frame rather than elongated in the corners, so for me it was definitely worth it.

Other than using a barlow, there isn't really a way of changing the effective focal length of your scope. One way round it is perhaps to crop the images and use drizzle stacking. This doubles (or even triples) the image scale without making the pixels bigger.

Archived