Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can an iPad be used for camera control

broadsword

I was planning to invest in a new laptop to handle camera control (focusing, exposure sequencing) which would also be the family PC, replacing a desktop on its last legs. However, my wife has bowled a curve ball and says she prefers an iPad, so I was wondering if anyone knows whether s/w like Backyard EOS can run on them? Also, any issues about durability for use in the damp winter outdoors (relative to a laptop)? Thanks for any advice.

According to the Apple Store, there is an attachment for iPhone/iPad to control your camera (separate ones for Nikon and Canon), I'm going to buy the Canon one for my other half for Christmas, but he'll only be using it for normal photography (he's not into the whole stargazing thing!). No idea if this will work for astrophotography.

I use my iPad for various apps to help to navigate the night sky and it seems to handle the cold quite well. It can have a tendency to get dew/mist on the screen, but I have a screen protector and a cover that seems to protect the iPad itself.

You may have trouble with the software issue. They are designed for apps not real software (hence you can't run MS office on them but you can download various office type apps from the app store).

I always say to people, that as much as I love my iPad (and I really do - its never out of my hands!), its not a replacement for a PC/Desktop/Laptop. Its primary use is for apps/movies/web surfing/reading/music.

Therefore, to sum up, you may be able to use an iPad to control a camera with a separate attachment (I think they are priced at £59), but not sure if this will work whilst a camera is attached to a telescope, but its doubtful you can run Backyard EOS software on it - unless the company that makes the software has an app equivalent. Check out the app store to see if there are any other apps that act like Backyard EOS - some of the apps for photography/video editing are pretty advanced if you ask me!

Hope this helps! (Not sure how much given how inexperienced I am!)

I looked at this route a while back now. The iPad cannot auto guide and has only a basic camera app (compared to the ones you were interested in).

It is however VERY good with sky safari at controlling the telescope. It was a wow moment at one of the public events when I was wirelessly sending the telescope to the popular targets. Sadly I do not think it will replace a laptop for "serious" imaging.

You could consider something like this though.

control the camera exposures

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/hahnel/giga-t-pro-remote-with-timer-canon-77110/show.html

use a smart sd card to transfer the files direct to the ipad

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=eyefi+sd+card&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=9509658545&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=693449136285103199&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_6cqb5gp3k_b

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/04/how-to-use-eye-fi-direct-mode-with-your-iphone-ipad/

• 1 month later...

Archived