Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

m31

turbotim

It does look like it TT, looks a lot like my earliest attempts, which is enough exposure to show the central core but not enough to bring out any dust lane detail yet. How long an exposure were you taking here? About 10 secs or so?

I tries a stab at it but can't get more than a small pixelated smudge. I think you need more and longer exposures to stack. There may be more in a tiff to play with but I cannot get anything usable from the jpg.

It does seem like you were on target though.

Cool thanks guys and it was only 20sec subs and a couple darks shot with nikon d80 on cg5 mount. Next time i will try 1 minute, I am still working on my tracking im just glad im on target.Can i upload tiff images on here without a problem?

Trouble is, this target is utterly enormous and a webcam chip is tiny (if that's indeed what you are using.) Worse still, perhaps, there is very little to resolve in the central part. I'd say this was not the right target for your camera.

Olly

Cool thanks guys and it was only 20sec subs and a couple darks shot with nikon d80 on cg5 mount. Next time i will try 1 minute, I am still working on my tracking im just glad im on target.Can i upload tiff images on here without a problem?

You should see a lot more with 20 sec on a dslr. WHat aperture/ISO are you at? I pick out M31 with my widefields at ISO400 F/3.5 no problems.

Nikon D80 is fine for M31. I use the CG5 and with decent polar alignment you should be able to do 1-2 minites quite easily. Try about 20 x 60secs at iso 800 with an equal amount of darks and if your tracking is ok, go for 90secs. Then you should see the beast.

You do need to shoot at 100-200mm for decent results. What lenses do you have.?

Thanks guys and i forgot to tell you this was only 1 20s sub stretched in gimp, because for some reason i couldnt get them to stack in dss. Thanks for all your help next time i will shoot iso 800 and do 1minute exposures. I just wanted to make sure i was shooting m31.

Archived