NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Spectro book?

Gasman

Hi all

Wondered if anyone had tried this book at all?

Spectroscopy: The Key to the Stars: Reading the Lines in Stellar Spectra (Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series

Just noticed it on Amazon and it looks very useful to compliment Ken`s books!

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have it, like it and still refer to it from time to time. I dug out what I wrote in a review for Sky at night magazine back in 2007 (below)

Another nice book covering similar ground (and free on line) is Richard Walkers "Analysis and interpretation of astronomical spectra"

http://www.ursusmajor.ch/astrospektroskopie/richard-walkers-page/index.html

Cheers Robin

Spectroscopy: The Key to the Stars

Keith Robinson

Springer

£19

159 pages

Paperback

The inner workings of stars as revealed through their spectra.

This volume seems somewhat out of place in the “Practical Astronomy” series. It is not about the nuts and bolts of spectroscopy. (Better covered by Tonkin’s book “Practical Amateur Spectroscopy” in the same series). Rather, Keith Robinson’s book is pitched at the advanced amateur with a basic grounding in physics who is seeking to understand exactly what spectra can reveal about an object.

To make the subject more accessible, the author has avoided the fiercest mathematics found in more academic tomes. Do not be fooled by this, or Robinson’s easy style and reassurances though. “Spectroscopy: The Key to the Stars” is no lightweight. It packed full of science from cover to cover and would not be out of place on an undergraduate’s book list, so be prepared for some careful reading and re–reading to get the most from it. We are rewarded for our efforts however with an insight into why spectroscopy is so important in astrophysics.

Early chapters build the foundations by explaining the physical processes behind the spectrum. These are then applied to a range of astrophysical phenomena. In particular, the modelling of cataclysmic binary stars (the subject of Robinson’s research) is covered in some depth and is a good example of how observational data can be used to shape a particular model.

As an amateur spectroscopist, I was disappointed not to find a list of targets to practice on. Overall though, Robinson has achieved his aim to make the physics behind the powerful tool which is spectroscopy more accessible.

Rating: 4/5

wow! sorry about the small typeface. lets try again

I have it, like it and still refer to it from time to time. I dug out what I wrote in a review for Sky at night magazine back in 2007 (below)

Another nice book covering similar ground (and free on line) is Richard Walkers "Analysis and interpretation of astronomical spectra"

http://www.ursusmajo...page/index.html

Cheers Robin

Spectroscopy: The Key to the Stars

Keith Robinson

Springer

£19

159 pages

Paperback

The inner workings of stars as revealed through their spectra.

This volume seems somewhat out of place in the “Practical Astronomy” series. It is not about the nuts and bolts of spectroscopy. (Better covered by Tonkin’s book “Practical Amateur Spectroscopy” in the same series). Rather, Keith Robinson’s book is pitched at the advanced amateur with a basic grounding in physics who is seeking to understand exactly what spectra can reveal about an object.

To make the subject more accessible, the author has avoided the fiercest mathematics found in more academic tomes. Do not be fooled by this, or Robinson’s easy style and reassurances though. “Spectroscopy: The Key to the Stars” is no lightweight. It packed full of science from cover to cover and would not be out of place on an undergraduate’s book list, so be prepared for some careful reading and re–reading to get the most from it. We are rewarded for our efforts however with an insight into why spectroscopy is so important in astrophysics.

Early chapters build the foundations by explaining the physical processes behind the spectrum. These are then applied to a range of astrophysical phenomena. In particular, the modelling of cataclysmic binary stars (the subject of Robinson’s research) is covered in some depth and is a good example of how observational data can be used to shape a particular model.

As an amateur spectroscopist, I was disappointed not to find a list of targets to practice on. Overall though, Robinson has achieved his aim to make the physics behind the powerful tool which is spectroscopy more accessible.

Rating: 4/5

Thats a fair review. I really enjoyed it, despite the fact for me it was a bit of a slog and I had to rerea sections quite a lot (my academic background is history, the classics and archaeology). Very much worth it though. I bought a version for the kindle though, and frankly its a pain trying to go back and forward to sections, or keep a diagram to hand. Think I may have to buy a hardback version - I'd benefit from another read through!

Archived