NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First time viewing Jupiter (or anything for that matter!)

cstew

Well, having had my scope for several months now, I have had it out of the house looking skywards about 3 times, due to a combination of any one or more of the following: bad weather/newborn baby/other commitments etc.

Tonight things finally came good and I made it out to the prime viewing spot that is my parents front yard, perfectly located under a beautiful street lamp :rolleyes: I zeroed in my new finder scope, slotted in the 25mm eyepiece and brought Jupiter into focus, instantly spotted four moons and just a very bright blob of light, switched to the 10mm and some banding was apparent, experimented with the two eyepieces and the 2x barlow and found the 25mm and the barlow gave the best view, I could make out some banding and colours, was just mesmerizing really, spent a good hour just stood gawking!

Even managed to get a quick pic (afocally??) by holding my camera up to the eyepiece:

IMAG0148-1.jpg

That'll have the hubble boys quaking in their boots!

Was just nice to actually get out with my scope, felt like it would never happen, problem is, now I've seen what a 130mm is capable of, I want more! More light, more power, MORE! I knew this would happen, reading through the site it happens to everyone, but I need to calm myself, a better mount is a must, an electric focusser, a camera (be it webcam or dslr attached) and a better location!

Great story! And even if that pic is overexposed, an astronomer will immediately pick out what it is. :)

First of all, move out from under the streetlamp. Darker skies always help more than more aperture. Even if we all prefer both.

Great story! And even if that pic is overexposed, an astronomer will immediately pick out what it is. :)

First of all, move out from under the streetlamp. Darker skies always help more than more aperture. Even if we all prefer both.

I think hugely overexposed is a better description! Thanks to the epic optics of my phone camera :grin: ! Unfortunately due to the orientation of my parents house, where my scope is stored to to space issues, the front yard under the lamp was the only place I could see Jupiter from. I do have a couple of places I plan on going where it should be significantly darker, this was just a last minute kind of "the sky is clear, I have nothing to do, I'm taking my telescope out no matter what" situation!

Had to respond to this, basically because I was going to post a very similar thread! I've had my scope out a few more time than you, but not at all often recently (same reasons, only the baby is 11 months old and teething!)

This was my first viewing of any planet and well, what a sight! I found my best results from a 2x barlowed 10mm vixen NPL - I thought the magnification might be too strong but it gave great intermittent views as the haze of the atmosphere subsided - clear banding and 4 distinct moons. I won't embarrass myself and put my picture up, which is worse than yours (also taken afocally with an iPhone) - I could only get a shot when using my bundled 25mm EP, I just hope we get another clear night soon for another peek.

Had to respond to this, basically because I was going to post a very similar thread! I've had my scope out a few more time than you, but not at all often recently (same reasons, only the baby is 11 months old and teething!)

This was my first viewing of any planet and well, what a sight! I found my best results from a 2x barlowed 10mm vixen NPL - I thought the magnification might be too strong but it gave great intermittent views as the haze of the atmosphere subsided - clear banding and 4 distinct moons. I won't embarrass myself and put my picture up, which is worse than yours (also taken afocally with an iPhone) - I could only get a shot when using my bundled 25mm EP, I just hope we get another clear night soon for another peek.

I'm just using the standard eyepieces and barlow that came with the scope, so not exactly the best quality, I found that the 10mm with the barlow was just a bit too much, lost a lot of clarity and contrast. I might have to invest in some better quality eyepieces and a new barlow, see if that improves things.

Also, when viewing Jupiter, I noticed that there was a distinct blue halo on the left of the planet. Could this be to do with any of the following:

1)condensation, it was quite warm and humid at the time?

2)collomation?

3)low quality eyepieces?

4)terrible amounts of light pollution?

If anyone could shed any light on this it would be appreciated.

Well in a few more weeks, Saturn will be emerging shortly before sunrise - that will certainly be worth getting up early for - or you might be up already on baby duties!

andrew

Well I'm up quite early for work, so might be able to sneak out with the scope if I get up a little earlier than usual.

Managed to get a pic of Jupiter last night, taken afocally and hand held to my 130P. Might not be amazing but I'm please I could at least make out the banding using this method - I could see it quite a bit clearer with my own eyes.

jupiter

Archived