Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Grinding focuser

It doesn’t appear to be affecting the movement, it just appears to be a grinding noise. I can’t feel any resistance or vibrations when moving the focuser in or out. In fact every now and then it doesn’t grind at all so I think there’s maybe a little grit inside that keeps moving about.

It’s the stock focuser you get on a Skyliner 200p. How easy are they to strip and clean as I can’t say I’ve ever tried.

Should be straightforward to dismantle and clean - just go carefully and make yourself a few notes as to which bits go where - maybe a couple of pictures would help. It sounds as if you hsve some dust or grit in the thing - clean with White spirit and re-lubricate with white Lithium grease (Halfords sell it in a tube or tub).

If it's the crayford you can just undo the 4 screws in the small plate between the two focus wheels. The wheels/roller will drop out allowing you to clean, you'l also have access to the bottom of the draw tube. Much easier than removing the whole thing then having to realign it etc.

If it's the crayford you can just undo the 4 screws in the small plate between the two focus wheels. The wheels/roller will drop out allowing you to clean, you'l also have access to the bottom of the draw tube. Much easier than removing the whole thing then having to realign it etc.

+1

Its as easy JJJJ says, I did it when I flocked the draw tube.

Archived