NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

William optics RDF's cheap??

Whippy

What's the advantage of these over say a normal RDF or even a 8x50 finder? How does it differ? Looks nice though !

Karlo

Hi Karlo,

On the WO model there are 7 brightness levels and a choice of 4 illuminated projections. The usual RDF dot,a cross,open circle within a cross or a circle with a central dot. In all a total of 28 settings..... 29 if you include Off. :lol: Oh,yes and a neat rubber cover for the red screen,which if you are like me,you will forget to take off and wonder why the damn thing isn't working! :insects1:

If you're not careful you can spend more time 'ringing the changes' on the finder than looking through the scope!

Cheers

CW

What's the advantage of these over say a normal RDF or even a 8x50 finder? How does it differ? Looks nice though !

Karlo

Hi Karlo,

On the WO model there are 7 brightness levels and a choice of 4 illuminated projections. The usual RDF dot,a cross,open circle within a cross or a circle with a central dot. In all a total of 28 settings..... 29 if you include Off. :lol: Oh,yes and a neat rubber cover for the red screen,which if you are like me,you will forget to take off and wonder why the damn thing isn't working! :insects1:

If you're not careful you can spend more time 'ringing the changes' on the finder than looking through the scope!

Cheers

CW

Or you can do what I did and leave the thing on and so I now need to get a new battery for it :D. Mental note: buy two just in case....

Tony..

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar one bought for me in the states, they come with a weaver rail base that fits the WO adaptor (ian king sells them)

They are identical to the WO, in fact I think you will find they come from the same factory.

Once adjusted for your scope they stay put and the settings dials are easy to use with cold hands.

Karlo

Hi Karlo,

On the WO model there are 7 brightness levels and a choice of 4 illuminated projections. The usual RDF dot,a cross,open circle within a cross or a circle with a central dot. In all a total of 28 settings..... 29 if you include Off. :smiley: Oh,yes and a neat rubber cover for the red screen,which if you are like me,you will forget to take off and wonder why the damn thing isn't working! :insects1:

Cheers

CW

Or you can do what I did and leave the thing on and so I now need to get a new battery for it :evil:. Mental note: buy two just in case....

Tony..

I find the draw on the batteries is so low that you can leave the sight on for weeks, and still have a light when you get outside. I bought two batteries, so I have one in case my battery goes when I am out observing, but the local radio shop has a replacement guarantee that will replace the batteries three times in two years if necessary. I'm down to one replacement left, now. :insects1:

I read somewhere that the finder was designed for guns but found ideal for telescopes. I have 3 of them and every one has arrived in its sealed box with the beast inside switched on and having a flat battery. That said I like them for being practical and classy - a bit like WO scopes. And they screw into the rotating part of the WO focuser (except on the 132) which means they are always right where you want them without too much neck/back pain.

They where originally designed for guns and they work really well on them, its that low incidence of parallax error that works in their favour + the brightness controls mean you can use them during the day.

I've used one on a pistol myself and for close range stuff theyre excellent.

:smiley: I've just drained both my RDF batteries and bought 5 new ones off eBay for less than £2. I keep turning them on and off a hundred times during the session (ensuring it will be off when I finish) but then somehow forgetting to turn it off after the very last slew of the session. And then only find out about it two weeks later next time I'm out. :insects1:

Andrew

Archived