NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Maintenance

Should I remove the mount from the tripod after each observing session or can i leave it there and just remove the scope? It's really heavy, but it would be easier if I could just leave it on. It's an EQ6 mount.

Thanks

I remove mine but then I have to carry it upstairs at the moment so that makes sense for me. Do whatever is best for you :)

Portability is not a problem. I just wanted to know if i leave it on can it somehow damage the tripod over a longer period of time.

Portability is not a problem. I just wanted to know if i leave it on can it somehow damage the tripod over a longer period of time.

Actually, it might if the tripod top isnt greased as over time the weight of the mount will make azimuth adjustment very stiff and will chip/wear away the paintwork on the tripod top (depending on how much az adjustment you do). But I always remove mine as it would be just too much to carry safely up slippery wooden stairs. The last thing you want landing upon your bonce is an EQ6 :D

Yep each to his own , I leave my scopes set up all the time during the 6 months of the dry season here in Darwin , I put my takahashi Mewlon 210 in its box , and leave the tripod /mount sitting in the corner , but my Sky90 remains set up for those odd good nights we still get during the wet season .

This does not seem to hurt the mount /tripod /scope at all , just a bit of dust ..

Brian.

Actually, it might if the tripod top isnt greased as over time the weight of the mount will make azimuth adjustment very stiff and will chip/wear away the paintwork on the tripod top (depending on how much az adjustment you do). But I always remove mine as it would be just too much to carry safely up slippery wooden stairs. The last thing you want landing upon your bonce is an EQ6 :D

This has happened to me. (alt/az stiff not a falling EQ6 thanks god!)

I'll have to get the lube out :cool:

Archived