Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Optics or focus problem?

deckardbr

Hi everyone,

During my last observing session I noticed something weird while using stars to do the alignment.

Most stars I look at, once in focus (or so I believe) appear as a couple of bright red and blue dots, very close to each other.

I know for a fact that I'm not looking at double stars so I believe it is an artifact of my scope or optics.

Have you ever experienced something like that? Am I doing something wrong? Is that the way they are supposed to look via SCT?

I was using my 2" SWAN WO EP when I noticed it.

Any help diagnosing this would be appreciated.

Cheers

Andrea

Michael,

No, not close to the horizon. I noticed it also when I was looking at M45 which I believe is ~50+ degrees up from the horizon.

John,

Well, I actually was using a light pollution filter. I was told I should use it all the time... It should be narrow band and not cheap (£170).

I'll try and remove that and see if it is defective.

Thanks

Andrea

Michael,

No, not close to the horizon. I noticed it also when I was looking at M45 which I believe is ~50+ degrees up from the horizon.

John,

Well, I actually was using a light pollution filter. I was told I should use it all the time... It should be narrow band and not cheap (£170).

I'll try and remove that and see if it is defective.

Thanks

Andrea

That might be your problem. You really don't need a narrowband filter in place all the time. They really only work on nebulae.

Archived