Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon EOS 1000D / Rebel XS 10.1 MP Digital SLR Camera

xarcane

The Canon 1000D is a terrific camera - I had one for a long time and updated to the Canon 550D but wished I kept my 1000D.

It provides terrific images and the files are not too large (unlike the more recent cameras). Going for higher resolution will not necessarily provide better images. If you download your files onto a computer for processing, one of the keys is to match your software with the camera (esp. if taking RAW images). Also get the color profile (sync) right - match the cameras settings with the image processing software and printer. Stick with sRGB. Good luck.

A great starter camera, whether its for Astro or general photography. And for that price its well worth it. Canon is one of the best supported brands for astro, and it pics up Ha very well even with the standard filter. It can also be modified to pick up more Ha data, making it even better for astro.

You will see alot of people, especially beginners either buy the older 300D or 350D or the 1000D, you will be hard pushed to buy a 300D for less than £100 and thats quite an old camera now.

Keiran

Gina linked to an ebay seller the other day who was selling the 1100D (or the US version of it) for £200 delivered. I think they might be waiting for more stock or something at the moment, but if your budget runs that far I think I'd go for the 1100D over the 1000D. Either should be fine to be honest, but the 1100D is slightly better I think.

James

Gina linked to an ebay seller the other day who was selling the 1100D (or the US version of it) for £200 delivered. I think they might be waiting for more stock or something at the moment, but if your budget runs that far I think I'd go for the 1100D over the 1000D. Either should be fine to be honest, but the 1100D is slightly better I think.

James

I have both an 1100D and a 1000D and I prefer the 1000D. It seems to be more sensitive for astro and has mirror lock-up which is useful for macro photography. Doesn't feel as plasticy as the 1100D either but the 1100D does video, which the 1000D doesn't.

As you say, both great cameras and I am not disappointed with either, but if I had to choose, I would keep the 1000D.

Archived