Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sun in Ha 4-11-12

DrRobin

Well,

After missing yesterday as the sun was too low once it cleared the cloud (despite a mad dash out in the car), today started much better. But, it was misty all day and even some high cloud. I took the picture below in two shots, one for the surface and one for the proms, through a general haze. It cleared a little and I took a few on 2x, but they are still in the developing tank (and as it is clear I might try night time DSOs). I also took a white light image, but nothing showed up, the sunspots must be very weak at the mo.

I have found out that my Coronado 2x barlow puts Newton Rings on my DMK and Lunt, whereas a cheapo screw in lens Ant sent me FOC doesn't. Who would have thought it, so that might be up for sale soon.

Any pic is 1000 frames stacked from 2000 frames, DMK41, 0.8x FR and a Lunt 60.

post-10602-0-74559500-1352056055_thumb.j

Hi,

Sorry posted the wrong picture. Please find the [false] colour and rotated on the left and the 2x mosaic on the right. The Mosaic is 6 images, plus two for the proms. It was taken with 1000 frames per picture, stacking about 600.

post-10602-0-33975200-1352065521_thumb.j post-10602-0-33147200-1352067144_thumb.j

Hi Olly,

It is an Atik 0.5x reducer mounted on a cut down nosepiece to get it very close to the chip. I haven't actually measured the reduction, but it must be somewhere near to 0.8x as I get the sun nicely centred with a small border top and bottom. I started off with the 0.5x on the end of a 15mm nosepiece but the reduction was too much although my Lunt still reached focus.

For details see this post

It is a lot quicker and easier when you don't have to do a mosaic, but there is a loss of detail.

Hi Olly,

It is an Atik 0.5x reducer mounted on a cut down nosepiece to get it very close to the chip. I haven't actually measured the reduction, but it must be somewhere near to 0.8x as I get the sun nicely centred with a small border top and bottom. I started off with the 0.5x on the end of a 15mm nosepiece but the reduction was too much although my Lunt still reached focus.

For details see this post http://stargazerslou...r-imaging-psts/

It is a lot quicker and easier when you don't have to do a mosaic, but there is a loss of detail.

Brilliant information. Thanks very much, Robin. I think I have an Atik reducer somewhere...

Olly

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I am rather pleased with the first picture given the mist and high cloud.

I have been out at lunch time today and captured another full disc and a couple of 2x images. Some nice proms today, but I appear to have done my old trick and over-expossed slightly. Will post as soon as it is finished, this time in greyscale and false colour, as I still appear to be loosing detail in applying the colour.

Archived