Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Visiting California Observatories

Astrokev

Not sure where best to post this enquiry....

I'm considering a family holiday in California and would like to visit some astronomy sites of interest, which I guess means Observatories and the Barringer meteor crater.

I'd be interested in any recommendations of places to visit from anyone who has visited this part of the US.

Time will be limited, as astro attractions will be vying with other family choices - Disney, shopping and the like - so will probably need to prioritise!

Barringer crater is a definite. Which observatories are the best to visit????

Many thanks in advance

Kevin

Not sure where best to post this enquiry....

I'm considering a family holiday in California and would like to visit some astronomy sites of interest, which I guess means Observatories and the Barringer meteor crater.

I'd be interested in any recommendations of places to visit from anyone who has visited this part of the US.

Time will be limited, as astro attractions will be vying with other family choices - Disney, shopping and the like - so will probably need to prioritise!

Barringer crater is a definite. Which observatories are the best to visit????

Many thanks in advance

Kevin

Kevin,

I live in So. Cal about 10 minutes from Disneyland.

Depending on your time I suggest you visit the following observatories.

Lowell observatory in Flagstaff Az. Wonderful place. They also have observing through the Clarke 24" though I don't know the schedule.

Griffith Observatory is a must. It is in the city but us not to be missed.

Mt. Wilson observatory is another good one. There's a walking tour (both self and Docent led).

Unfortunately I think that Palomar observatory is no longer doing public tours. I know they let all the docents go. They may still have self guided tours. It is about 2 hours south of Anaheim.

If you find yourself in Northern California, go to Lick observatory on Mt. Hamilton above San Jose.

Let me know when you get here and I can take you out to the OCA dark site for a night of observing.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

On the other side of the hill from the Griffith Observatory is Universal Studios and the LA Zoo. For shopping there is the

Glendale Galleria, all are worth a visit and within 15 minutes of the Observatory.

EDIT: If in the area, I would recommend staying at the Glendale Lodge.

Hi Kev,

I lived in the area for 27 years. Most recient visit back was two years ago. Its the place where we stay if I'm traveling through Los Angeles. Its clean, reasonably priced, and in a good part of town. Theres easy access to the freeways (motorway), shopping plazas and a variety of restaraunts.

EDIT: Also, Jet Propulsion Laboratory is only minutes away, and close to the Highway which leads up to the

Mount Wilson Observatory.

Been to the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, think it may be a bit too far from California. Had a great time there, from the motel a walk along a little of Route 66 and up the hill through the pines to the observatory, a very nice tour and lecture with a visit to the orignal telescope used to find Pluto.

Lowell's mausoleum is in the grounds.

Jim

Been to the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, think it may be a bit too far from California. Had a great time there, from the motel a walk along a little of Route 66 and up the hill through the pines to the observatory, a very nice tour and lecture with a visit to the orignal telescope used to find Pluto.

Lowell's mausoleum is in the grounds.

Jim

I only suggested Lowell since Kevin mentioned Barringer Meteor crater. Lowell is only an hour away give or take.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I only suggested Lowell since Kevin mentioned Barringer Meteor crater. Lowell is only an hour away give or take.

Actually I did not realise the crater was so named, was going to mention it but left it out :). Still think Flagstaff is a bit out of the way, what is he looking at, a two day car drive at least? :)

Jim

Our tentative plans are to spend a few days in LA and then take a circular route to try and see some of the national parks, then spending a few days in Vegas. From here, I think we could do Barringer and Flagstaff (at least I hope so!).

Thanks for all your advice, this really helps.

Kev

Kev,

Yvette and I did a tour back in 2003 stayed in Tucson for a few days and spent a night at Kitt Peak then drove up to Flagstaff which is a great place to stay for the Lowell Observatory, Meteor crater, the petrified forest and the Grand Canyon. I think we were there for 5 days but could have stayed far longer! Drove from Flagstaff to Mount Wilson in much less time than I thought, about 5 hours from memory. We had the guided tour of the telescopes which was excellent. Drove on to Mount Palomar which was very impressive, no tour but you get to see the telescope through a window from a viewing gallery. The 200" mirror was out and there was chap walking around on top of it in rubber boots with a hose pipe washing it off!!

Forgot to say we flew into Orlando and started with a week in Florida so much for the family there and two days at the Space Centre was excellent, flew from Orlando to Phoenix.

So many highlights on the trip: Standing under the Saturn 5, Meteor crater, seeing Mars through the Lowell Refractor! We will go back to Flagstaff at some stage.

All the Best,

Linton

Done a tour in late 90's, got myself a Greyhound ticket, flew into NY and headed for Chicago, thats where my trip realy started. Travelling overnight, sleeping on the bus was able to visit many places, Rapid City was the first big stop staying in a hostel and hiring a car I travelled the Badlands, Black Hills, Devils Tower and The Litttle Big Horn to name a few.

From Seattle all the way down the West Coast to Loa Angeles and then across to Vegas, Pheonix and a stay at Flagstaff, a hired car again, seen the sights and headed south to Tombstone and then El Paso, south into Mexico and across to Laredo, up to San Antonio and then to New Orleans.

Florida was the next stop, Fort Lauderdale and a car, done the tours and then headed north to the Conferderate States and stayed in Richmond and again a car and toured all the battlefields. Northwards to Washington and Philadelphia and the battlefields of the War of Independence.

Going across country to Niagara Falls and a short trip into Canada it was onto New England, from there down south into New York and a weeks stay.

The whole trip was a journey of my past dreams, to see the places that were in the Wild West films I had seen and also to see where history had been made, I met many people and seen wonderful places. It was the start of a new era for me, I was to do the same journey again but in the opposite direction, a journey from Mexico to Panana and back, a circunnavigation of the Med and then a Grand Tour of Europe. My legs have given up now with all the weight I carried, can just about get down to the end of the garden now, but have seen things I could only dream of previously and am a happy chappy, if you get the chance, go for it!!

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all. Ideas are now starting to fall into place. The problem now, of course, is that I need to add a few weeks onto the holiday!

Providing I can convince the family, the short list is currently - Mount Wilson, Lowell, Meteor crater and possibly Griffiths observatory (the latter also offers good views of the Hollywood sign which may just clinch the deal with my children!).

Kevin

I did a road trip last year, started in Tucson at a Hotel with visiting astronomer (https://www.loewshot...a-Canyon-Resort) though not sure they still do that, went to Starzonia and had a great talk with the people there. Went north to Sedona (dark skies, houses with observatories built in!) - saw my first full milky way, too many stars to identify constellations. Then to Flagstaff for the Lowell Observatory, went back in the evening for their observing session - great time talking and looking through big Dobs and the 24" refractor, ended up as an unpaid helper, explaining kit and sites to people! Would like to do California some day and check out some obseravtories there. Summer not the best time for Arizona, its their 'rainy' season, and you can get a lot of cloud in July - August.

• 3 years later...

Archived