NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW MN190 extension for EP range help needed

In order to achieve focus for visual with my MN190 I have to use a 50mm extension. I just use a cheap 50mm Revalation one but it is starting to cause me problems.

First problem is it isn't long enough to achieve focus using my Nagler 12mm. I therefore have to back the extension out of the focuser by 10mm which isn't ideal. I don't have to do this on any other EPs. Ideally I need something modular to suit as I think 80mm will be too much.

The next issue is when I use my 1.25" EPs. I have to use the supplied adaptor but the extension doesn't have a recess for the thumb screw on the adaptor. This results in the adaptor not sitting square and not being able to tighten the thumb screw.

Anyone have any experience with this and can recommend something better? Is there something I can do with the focuser?

Sirius,

I just use the bit that came with it and I don't have problems as such. I also have a 12mm Nagler but I have never used it in this scope, In truth I don't use the scope much and I have not had the 12mm that long.

For me this scope is like so many other scopes, nice scope shame about the focuser, every scope I have had apart from APM the focuser is rubbish. I have tried to get a good one for this but I was told by Teleskop Services no one makes one for it. I find this a bit hard to believe, Telescope House is looking at the problem at the moment for me, I trust them , they are very good.

There are other extension sleeves on the market but to be honest I think they are all made in the same Chinese garage. I am also sure there are quality ones about but will cost a good deal, I really should have bought one before now as I have three scopes that at some point need one.

I will let you know what TH come back with.

Sorry I can't help more.

Alan.

I checked earlier and sure enough the 12mm Nagler will not focus with the 190 Mac/Newt or the 150mm GSO RC, so I hope it will be OK in my other two or it was a bit of a waste. I would not mind betting my 13mm Ethos will be the same, never tried it and forgot to before my powerpack went flat. I think it is something to do with this 2 inch 1 1/4 inch eyepiece fitting system they have.

Alan.

Its a pain isn't it! Its definately not a waste as the 12mm Nagler is amazing however if you have a 13mm Ethos then it may be a bit redundant. If the 13mm Ethos suffers from the same problem then that will be annoying. It should be fine in the frac due the additional draw tube length you get.

With respect to changing the focuser, which is much needed on my single speed version, have you seen Gunnar's Moonlite:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/141012-skywatcher-190mn-fitting-of-a-moonlite-focuser/page__hl__%20fitting%20%20of%20%20moonlite

No first time i have seen it, clearly TS do not know what they are talking about, they told me there is no replacement. I have a moonlite on my LX 200, they are real class.

12mm Nagler, I swapped it with a bit of cash for my 13mm Nagler, which really was redundant. No I use all of them I have Televue from 13-4mm in 1mm jumps and will add 4.5 and 3.5 at the shorter F/Ls, I have a fair collection of them. For me that is it now thereis nothing else to buy.

That is until the next one.

Alan.

you can extend anything with a 2" filter thread by using Baader fine tuning rings. for safety you could even loctitie one to your extension tube semi-permanently.

I use a 28mm on on my 13mm Ethos to 'convert' to 2" and a 14mm one on my 2-1.25" adapters to allow using 2" filters with 1.25" eyepieces without the fear of smashing one with a long nosepiece.

Shane,

I will look at these nose pieces, with not having either eyepiece for very long and having some bad weather I had not come across this issue. I had only used the refractor and the LX as luck would have it and they focus just about anything.

Alan.

Archived