Problems with over exposure

Finally, on my second attempt I got some good images of Jupiter and its moons. The only problem is that Jupiter is over exposed, therefore is just a white blob whilst the moons show some of their colour. I've heard that if I can see the moons of Jupiter, the planet itself will be over exposed. However, the image I got was from modified webcam and the program I used to get the image was SharpCap. I had tried fiddling around with the brightness, gamma etc, but it only made the white blob that was Jupiter slightly darker, it didn't actually reveal any surface detail. Could anyone help me out? I would really like to get some surface detail images of Jupiter as opposed to the white blob (although I do love seeing the moons, the surface detail comes before). Thank you in advance, here is the image I took:

post-25986-0-71369400-1351806333_thumb.p

Here is another, Jupiter itself is a slightly more irregular shape but the moons are more visible:

post-25986-0-13763000-1351806369_thumb.p

- bokeh

Is there any way to drop the exposure time on the camera at all?? I have no experience with webcams I'm afraid and don't know how sophisticated they are, but the highlights are 'blown out'. If Jupiter were darker with more detail, then you are correct that you wont see the moons. They are exposed correctly as they are much dimmer. If there is no way to manually shorten the exposure time, then I dunno.

Maybe someone else can advise? I may be wrong, but I supect that you may need to get a better camera, unless there is some other software you can use to control it. I know that's not much help to you right now, but at least you know what the issue is and what is needed to address it :)

Good luck!

To get both the moons and surface detail you will most probably need to take two sets of images - one exposure setting for each - and then use editing software to put the "good" Jupiter onto the overexposed image. Hopefully your camera exposure settings will allow this.

If you tell us exactly which webcam you are using i'm sure we can give you more hints as to what to do.

post-21611-0-33902200-1350648834_thumb.j

Finally, on my second attempt I got some good images of Jupiter and its moons. The only problem is that Jupiter is over exposed, therefore is just a white blob whilst the moons show some of their colour. I've heard that if I can see the moons of Jupiter, the planet itself will be over exposed. However, the image I got was from modified webcam and the program I used to get the image was SharpCap. I had tried fiddling around with the brightness, gamma etc, but it only made the white blob that was Jupiter slightly darker, it didn't actually reveal any surface detail. Could anyone help me out? I would really like to get some surface detail images of Jupiter as opposed to the white blob (although I do love seeing the moons, the surface detail comes before). Thank you in advance, here is the image I took:

post-25986-0-71369400-1351806333_thumb.p

Here is another, Jupiter itself is a slightly more irregular shape but the moons are more visible:

post-25986-0-13763000-1351806369_thumb.p

- bokeh

If you are using Sharpcap there is an exposure setting you can use to reduce the white blob down to a more subtle grey. Through my Astromaster 130 I can see the main bands on jupiter once in focus, however Registax is needed to bring out more detail.

The best I've achieved so far with my modded xbox webcam is attached, but I've now got an Philips SPC900 and can't wait to use it, the only problem is the Cold I'm currently suffering!!

Archived