NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

W/C 29th October

John Togger

I hope to get a look at some point this week but it's not looking too promising. Hopefully there will be a clear night soon - even with the Moon still being quite intrusive it'll be worth it to get out and see something!

Here's athought for you. I just realised that as my wife has taken the Rav away with her, I am left with the MX5. Do you think I can safely get the 200p and dob base in? If I do venture out before next Weds I might have to resort to the binos. :tongue:

Would love to but have to attend a work meeting with the night crews from 2100 to 2300. I'm really hoping Friday night is clear too. The skies certainly looked good earlier on - fingers crossed it stays that way.

Not much observing really, Steve did'nt have his scope and just chatting. The moon washed everything else out, although it did look good alongside Jupiter and Alderbaran, especially the finder view with Jupiter's moons adding to the party. Jupiter looked pretty steady, with good colour banding and some festoons visible, no doubt if the moon was'nt slap bang next door it would have offered a lot more.

Had a look at the Orion Nebula and Trapezium, but obviously affected by the London LP, still got a reasonable view of the nebula with the Oiii filter though.

Clouds rolled in again after 11 and it started to rain on the way home, but at least the scope got a couple of hours out of it's case since what must have been early September!

Sounds like a good night all things considered (including the weather lately!).

I went to the office at 2100 for a meeting and it looked good. I had taken a pair of binos for the way home at about midnight but it had gone all milky by then.

Tonight is looking good so far - fingers crossed :)

We had a load of friends over last night for a bonfire and firework display. As it was so clear I had to get the scope out. It was great to see their amazement at what they saw and everyone loved seeing the moons and bands of Jupiter and the moon on high magnification. Isn't it great to be able to share these wonders with friends.

If it was in the scope in your signature - 8SE, that has a focal length of 2032mm I think. A 4mm ep would give 508x mag. Probably about twice as much as our atmosphere could cope with under the best UK skies. Also, it's pushing beyond the limit of the scope really (aperture in inches x 50 = typical max for a scope under perfect skies - 400 for an 8inch scope). I guess a happy medium would be a 12mm ish ep or a 25mm with a 2x barlow.

With the Moon so bright and so close too, Jupiter will look a bit washed out although a dew shield would help here as it would restrict the amount of stray light entering the scope tube.

Archived