NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

eyepieces for C8 help

Hi

I have just purchased a second hand C8 SCT F10 2000mm which came with a celestron 25mm Eyepiece, also a converter so that I can use a william optics 2 inch diagonal.

I have been recomended to start with 3 eyepieces low, medium and high.

Can anyone give some advice on what is low ,medium and high for this scope?

I am probably looking to buy Baader hyperions for the medium and High but an aditional suggestion for the low would be greatly recieved. Or any help if I am on the wronge track with the Hyperions.

Hyperions sound good. I have a Moonfish 30mmUWA which performs very well as a low power EP for the C8. If you go down to 40mm you start to run into problems with vignetting. The FOV is pretty small on the scope so wide angle EPS are a great idea

As the Hyperions only go up to 21mm in this country at the moment you might be better of with something like a Moonfish (or clone) 30mm 80 degree as your low power and a 8mm and 17/21mm Hyperion as your high and medium respectively.

The great thing about the C8 is it won't care too much about eyepiece quality. And as probably all eyepieces sold are corrected to work well in an SCT, you can set your sights lower to some of the cheaper widefield eyepieces. Such as the William Optic Swans, or their Antler clones. Same apparent FOV as the Hyperion but a fraction of the price. They are pure junk in a fast newtonian but in a slow SCT they work a treat. Also the Moonfish Ultra wides. My 15mm Moonfish is a complete joke in the f4 Newtonian but in an SCT it's perfectly acceptable.

Russ

I would agree with Astroman - I use my 15mm and 9mm Vixen Lanthanums (These are because I wear glasses and they give excellent eye relief).

Although I also use the 40mm Super Plossl that came with the scope I am looking to get a wide angle 30/32mm EP. The Moonfish 30mm WA that Martin suggests is favourite at the moment.

MD

Thanks for the input it looks like 8mm high, 17/21mm mid and 30/33 low.

Never heard of the moonfish but I will certainly be looking that way thanks again.

Sorry forgot to ask is there any advantage to using a 2inch for the low power?

I try to organize my ep kit by 50% increments. I find that less than that isn't much of a difference. With your scope, I would go for a 40 (2"), a 24 - 26, and a 15 or 16, plus a good 2x Barlow.This gives you a set of non-overlapping ep lengths, and a maximum of about 250x, with a 50x low power. That's not a bad kit, and with that f/10 focal length, it should be pretty forgiving of less expensive eps. If you are interested in doing planetary, you could get a 9 or 10, and max out your magnification with the Barlow.

I have three Rigel 2" eyepieces - 38mm, 26mm and 15mm. These are great for general viewing. They were also pretty cheap. :lol: Try the Ian King imaging website for them

http://www.iankingimaging.com/show_products.php?category=98&offset=10&offset=0

, although you can find them cheaper online, I posted a link for them via eBay on here a couple of weeks ago.

For planetary, I can't say. I've not had a chance to see any with my C8 yet!

Archived