NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What autoguider for a C11 Edge?

Hi

I'm considering adding an autoscope to my set up, as the title suggest. I have a Celestron C11 Edge and would appreciate any suggestions of what would be a nice addition.

So far, I've been looking at the Orion Awesome autoguider £350.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for looking :smiley:

Certainly off axis guider but I'm going to disagree with Per and say certainly not Starlight Xpress. Their OAG (unless they've fixed it) has a design fault. The depth locking bolt acts as a pivot and introduces flexure. The camera can rock on its turret. The simplest fix, which is what I did, is to run a brace from the guide camera to the main camera but you should not have to mend new products. The one I use had this problem and another one visiting last week also had it. There has been much talk of the problem on SGL.

I do think SCTs need OAGs. The mirror can move and the FL is very long. If you want the resolution of which the scope is capable you need accurate guiding. Personally, in an OAG, I'd want a good sensitive guide camera and would go for a Lodestar (or SX's new guide cam) or a QHY5, then I'd probably suggest PHD guiding software. This is what we use at 2.4 metres FL very successfully.

Olly

Hi fellas & thanks for the response

I'm just looking at my options of guiding as I'm thinking that in the future I would like to add the faststar option and have a go at some DSO's. I've only ever attempted planetary as I've thought dso's are far too difficult to even try. (Even though I'm in awe of the images posted on here!).

I have to admit that some of these phrases you are using are very alien to me haha :smiley:

10 micron?? OAG (I take it this is "off axis guider" but not even sure I know what and how this thing is and how it operates) is it a stand alone guider or does it attach to the mount?

I DO know that the mount has to track tightly for good results and I guess that the better the guider, the better tracking will be equalling better results. Therefore the importance of the guider functioning accuratley is of the highest!

If you are going hyperstar then you won't be able to use an off-axis guider as it would have to sit in front of the corrector! On the other hand, with hyperstar then short exposures are normal and you might get away without guiding.

Helen

You would connect the QHY5 via a ST4 cable, this would connect from the camera to the autoguider port on the mount. Also on the back of the QHY5 camera is a USB port that would connect to your laptop and use PHD guiding software.

I have my QHY5 screwed to a second 9 x 50 view finder that sits along side my viewfinder on a bracket I made.

post-5729-135159031604_thumb.jpg

This works well for me.

You would connect the QHY5 via a ST4 cable, this would connect from the camera to the autoguider port on the mount. Also on the back of the QHY5 camera is a USB port that would connect to your laptop and use PHD guiding software.

I have my QHY5 screwed to a second 9 x 50 view finder that sits along side my viewfinder on a bracket I made.

post-5729-135159031604_thumb.jpg

This works well for me.

While am still only a beginner in astrophotography and only manage to get one descent picture of late due to weather, I'm happy so far with my setup.

post-5729-13515906228_thumb.jpgpost-5729-135159063735_thumb.jpg

These are my best pictures I've managed to capture with just a few lights using the QHY5 as a guide camera on a 9 x 50 viewfinder.

Nice images Andy

The bracket looks good, I take it that the QHY5 is attached to the back of a view finder and then connected to the mount? Run PHD and it should track away nicely?

Sounds simple, I can't see myself manufacturing a bracket like yours though sadly as I haven't the tools etc to create. Would have to source something online to suit hence why I'm looking at an all in one package type solution maybe that would attach to the set up with minimal fuss!

Andy, you are getting impressive guiding there. I've seen a lot of EQ sixes, though, and own two, and I wouldn't say that all of them would give that kind of result, especially from a very short FL guidescope. But well done, that's good.

Olly

Andy, you are getting impressive guiding there. I've seen a lot of EQ sixes, though, and own two, and I wouldn't say that all of them would give that kind of result, especially from a very short FL guidescope. But well done, that's good.

Olly

Thanks olly

I'm using a HEQ5 Pro mount not the 6. So far so good just hope it stays that way.

Archived