antares twist lock adapter

Hi Andy.

When you say the laser is bang on, I presume you have tried in in V blocks or similar to check it is centralised?

If so, it could be the focuser.

A few more details about the set up would help. Presumably a Newtonian (otherwise why use a laser collimator) but what type and brand?

hiya got adapter today aligned secondary mirror with primary by centering laser on doughnut on primary then took it out and popped it back in i could not get it back in doughnut not only that every time i replaced it it was missing doughnut by a fair bit in all directions put my old adapter in with grub screws put laser in it was in doughnut everytime i replaced laser av got skywatcher 10 inch trusstube

also secondary is centered under focuser and showing a circle use old adapter put laser in bang on primary no touching of secondary then change to twist lock put laser in tighten up not in doughnut pop laser back in exactly same place tighten up again shinning in a different spot doin my head in

hello john thanks for your reply the laser is baader mark 111 cant collimate but been checked and is collimated its just when i tighten twist lock it seems to not centre laser but pushing it out of line but when i swap adapter to origional one put laser in tighten screws shines directly in doughnut but twist lock is supposed tobe more accurate but it does seem twist lock is pushing laser out of line when tightened

Andy

The problem is more than likely the twist lock adaptor. I had the same problem with the same tools. When you tighten the adaptor, you will notice the black plastic retaining ring pushing up the more you tighten, until it actually protrudes above the surface. I could never get repeatable results with the twist lock adapter because of this. Contrary to popular belief, I don't believe these adaptors are a particularily useful collimation aid. I can get repeatable results each and every time with the supplied 2"-1 1/4" adaptor and a cheaper Antares laser. (Which is easily collimated itself) I use the laser with a barlow to align the primary though, much more accurate.

I've got one of those twist lock adapters on my scope & I have to say I wish I hadn't bothered buying it. A fellow SGL member noticed when fitting a cheshire or laser collimator to my scope, when tightening it up the collimators could be tightened in slightly different angles & it made it a bit of a nightmare to collimate so I'm now going to buy one of these instead. As they have one of these on their dob & they have never had any issues with it.

The Twist-lock is very handy, I use one and much prefer it to fiddling with retaining screws. But it does increase the inherent unreliability of laser collimators (even well collimated ones, which most are). Hence I only ever use my laser for aligning the secondary, and I use a cheshire for the primary. Rotating the cheshire shows me a small misalignment caused by the Twist-lock, but nothing that I'd ever notice at the eyepiece. Using a laser to do the full collimation would multiply this misalignment, perhaps into something that would be noticeable in eyepiece views. The barlowed laser technique would solve this, but a cheshire is simpler and good enough for me. The twist-lock is a lot more useful to me than the laser and if I were getting rid of one it would be the laser.

Archived