Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter Skywatcher 150PL

Ultrapenguin

I use a Creative Live Cam it has the same Sony CCD chip as the famed Philips but a fraction of the cost, mine cost £5 from ebay. For that picture I used a 2 x Barlow but instead of using the barlow complete I unscrewed the lens from the front and screwed it to the thread on the Webcam adaptor, I only recently discovered that you could do this with good quality Barlows and it has made things a lot easier. I used to suffer with alignment issues between the cam and barlow where rotating the cam even with the object perfectly centred resulted in the object disapearing from my laptop screen, now that does not happen. The only additional item in the optical chain is an IR cut filter, someone recently told me to try removing this to gain more detail, has anyone tried this? For that shot I also lowered ny FPS to 10, another trick I have learnt. That gives a longer exposure for each frame and hence the possibility of more detail, I know I have a while to go on this journey of planetry imaging and looking at where I am now compared to last year I know I can improve what I am looking for now is clarity on the images as you can see thsi one is slighty woolly not really focused. If I can fix that maybe i can get a half decent image :)

visually I found Jupiter needs a filter to see detail in my 150PL its just too bright otherwise. Without the filter I just see a bright white disk with faint grey bands with a filter in place it really comes alive, I suppose the advantage the webcam has is that I can vary the exposure to find that perfect view, incidently exposure on Jupiter is almost always less that 50% on my setup so it really is very bright :-)

it was a cheap filter purchased of Ebay, I do not believe it has any polarising properties it has a light green colour I believe it would be Kodak Wratten #11 but I am no expert on filters I purchased it because I felt the brightness of Jupiter and other objects (venus) ws hindering my observing but did not want to block too much light. Basically i was experimenting, I know not if its the best but it does work for me.

I also found the following web page quite usefull;

http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/howdifferentfilterscanbetteryourviewarticle.cfm

Thanks for the excellent, detailed reply.

I use a Creative Live Cam it has the same Sony CCD chip as the famed Philips but a fraction of the cost, mine cost £5 from ebay. For that picture I used a 2 x Barlow but instead of using the barlow complete I unscrewed the lens from the front and screwed it to the thread on the Webcam adaptor, I only recently discovered that you could do this with good quality Barlows and it has made things a lot easier. I used to suffer with alignment issues between the cam and barlow where rotating the cam even with the object perfectly centred resulted in the object disapearing from my laptop screen, now that does not happen. The only additional item in the optical chain is an IR cut filter, someone recently told me to try removing this to gain more detail, has anyone tried this? For that shot I also lowered ny FPS to 10, another trick I have learnt. That gives a longer exposure for each frame and hence the possibility of more detail, I know I have a while to go on this journey of planetry imaging and looking at where I am now compared to last year I know I can improve what I am looking for now is clarity on the images as you can see thsi one is slighty woolly not really focused. If I can fix that maybe i can get a half decent image :)

Archived