Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sun finally needs to get the clearasil out

Vega

The sun has finally got a spot. Quote from spaceweather.com...

The sun has been blank for 21 consecutive days, but today a new sunspot is emerging. This movie recorded by the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) shows the active region emerging in less than 16 hours. Although it seems little more than a tiny speck, the new spot is in fact as wide as Earth, which makes it an easy target for backyard solar telescopes. A planet-sized object materializing before our eyes in less than a day? That may be worth watching. Stay tuned.

I'm hoping to have a gander as soon as the cloud goes

Vega

The sun has finally got a spot. Quote from spaceweather.com...

The sun has been blank for 21 consecutive days, but today a new sunspot is emerging. This movie recorded by the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) shows the active region emerging in less than 16 hours. Although it seems little more than a tiny speck, the new spot is in fact as wide as Earth, which makes it an easy target for backyard solar telescopes. A planet-sized object materializing before our eyes in less than a day? That may be worth watching. Stay tuned.

I'm hoping to have a gander as soon as the cloud goes

Vega

Watch you don't get goosed! :lol: You call that a sunspot? Just get a Kleenex and squeeze it.

Took a look at this disturbance both days over the weekend in the 6" F/4.5 white light scope. I found it barely visible at 52x, but showing some nice detail at 92x. The original spot had split in two sections, with a further split of one half, giving a total of 3 spots. These were all small, with the dual pair showing some penumbra between, and giving the illusion of being one extended, coma shaped spot. Many very small and indistinct spots abounded, but didn't lend themselves to direct observation. The active region appeared extended well past the limits of the spots themselves. Brighter areas, (plages), were seen leading in strings between spots and extending out into the surrounding active region.

Because it was so indistinct, I decided not to set up the 6" F/20 or the 5" F/14, though the later was close.

NWS is predicting clouds and rain for the next 2 days, so I hope I can get another view or two before it rotates off the limb.

Archived