Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sunday night, Sept 23

Talitha

Whoops, I almost forgot to post this.

Sunday night was beautiful.. 60°F. :D It was pretty windy, but at least it was dry enough to remove the windcatcher dew shield. The seeing was so poor it almost ended the session, but the temperature was so pleasant I just had to stay outside. The highest usable power for the 90mm Mak was 176x which is less than I'm used to, but enough to make a few rough sketches of some interesting features.

The first sketch was done merely to record the nice shadowlines in Babbage. The second sketch is something which always catches my attention. It's a jagged, high-contrast formation I call the 'sawtooth ridge', and it's between Damoiseau and Sirsalis. It's not a long-lived light phenomenon and a prime view only lasts for two hours at best.

I've also attached three images. The first one is of the sawtooth ridge, and the other two are of Rima Sirsalis. I didn't see Rima Sirsalis that night, but am including the images to show its location in respect to Sirsalis. It's pretty long and extends all the way down to the large (unnamed?) crater east of Darwin.

Darwin has its own rimae, running E/W within crater Darwin and extending into the crater to its east (the same one which holds the bottom of Rima Sirsalis).

:lol: Ok, class is over.. go outside and play. :D

Carol, what a coincidence! I have only a handful of webcam sequences but one of them is of the "sawtooth ridge"! I think it was sometime in May 2007. I will get them out of the laptop and show them to you when I get home. I would love to compare my capture with yours.

Carol, what a coincidence! I have only a handful of webcam sequences but one of them is of the "sawtooth ridge"! I think it was sometime in May 2007. I will get them out of the laptop and show them to you when I get home. I would love to compare my capture with yours.

Sequences are a lot of fun.. I can't wait to see it, themos! :D

The only sequence I've ever imaged was of the Jura Mountains but I neglected to make note of the time the images were taken, so I have no idea what the time span is. But it was fun and that's what counts. :lol:

Ok, so here is my stacked image from webcam frames through my 4.5" f/8 Newtonian, back in 29 April 2007, 22:30:48 (UK summer time).

1523_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I can't get much better detail from the webcam frames but this is enough to show a few specks of light that are detached from the main moon surface.

The sketches in your link r inspirin Carol 8)

I second that..... 8)

Thanks SR and Jamie, glad you like them! :lol: I rarely do that type anymore because they take so long (almost two hours), and sometimes that's almost the whole session. But it's fun once in a while.

Archived