Decent LP filter?

Tom2012

Good evening everyone! Another none eventful night regarding observing! Hah getting a bit of a habit this.

Just a quick one really to ask of anyone knows a decent LP filter for a 200p, please?

Been looking at a few on FLO but I'm not really sure which one would be better than others.

Also would you recommend any particular ones for viewing planets?

Thank you for your help.

Tom.

It might sound like a daft answer but it all depends on your light pollution! If you have those yellow sodium streetlights then the Skywatcher LP filter does the job - but you may have different streetlights or a combination of types of light. If you can you may need to try one out - you may find a supplier who would let you do this.

As said it all depends upon the kind of light pollution you are contending with. I own the Baader Neodymium filter and it is a corker. It works well on light pollution, moon and certain planets, mainly Jupiter and Mars. I also own a 2 inch skyglow filter and to tell the truth it hardly gets used at all as the difference it makes to me is minimal.

I have heard good things about the Sky Watcher light pollution filter Skywatcher Light Pollution Filter

Thank you all for your help!

I do live in an area with the orange/yellow lights. Also though, this is were it may get a bit difficult to filter. Our next door neighbour (9 times out of 10) leaves his kitchen light on which shines right over our back wall! I may just put a little something up to block it to be honest. Other than that it is just the usual sodium orange/yellow lights to put up with.

Read a few reviews on FLO and the SW LP filter seems to be fine.

Again, thank you for all your help.

Tom.

I have a LP filter (I can't remember the brand) that does almost nothing so don't buy a cheap one (which is what I did). I have got myself a Baader UHC-S which is fab at bringing out the faint nebulae. I do live under a fairly orange sky but I tend to find that the planets are more than bright enough to not require a filter. I would have thought that any of the quality named brand filters would do a good job for you though

• 3 weeks later...

Archived