AP setup options?

Hi All,

I think I've narrowed this down to the choices below. Thanks for the guidance on the HEQ5 / CG5 question earlier (and for FLO's input on this). What I'm after now is your honest opinions on my otions below, please feel free to point out obvious flaws or anything I have missed, I'm new to this AP lark. For reference again, my current setup is an old SPC8 (1990's) SCT in great condition on a non motorized super polaris mount. My options are as follows (I have about £850 to play with, I've decided not to go 2nd hand unless through a reputable shop):

1/ Stretch my budget a little and get a small refractor such as the ED80 on a new smaller guided mount for DSO imaging and keep the C8 on the polaris mount purely for visual (I'm guessing this isn't realistic as I know most of you state the HEQ5 is minimum for guided AP even with smaller scopes).

2/ Get the HEQ5 Syntrek or Pro and use the C8 with this to carry on with visual and dabble in a little imaging. Next year buy an ED80 (or similar) and put that on the HEQ5 and put the C8 back onto the Polaris mount.

3/ Get the HEQ5 Syntrek or Pro, buy a focal reducer for the C8 and stick with this setup.

4/ None of the above, you have no idea what you're talking about so go buy some new skis instead.....lol!

One thing I know I have overlooked is a guide scope, I have no real idea about these.

Thanks All.

I don't know anything about the C8, so I can't comment on that, but guidescopes is easy. The Skywatcher ST80 (or one of its clones) is almost ubiquitous as a guide scope, and so is a QHY5 as a guide camera, although there are many alternatives. Alternatively, you could look at using a finderscope as a guidescope, together with a conventional guide camera such as a QHY5, or even a webcam.

There are also dedicated autoguiders around that will allow freedom from using a laptop. Although, if you are using a laptop anyway to capture images from your main imaging camera, this advantage is a bit moot.

There is also off axis guiding, which I'm not really an expert on - I'm sure someone else will help out on that one.

A lot will depend on the weight of the C8... the HEQ5 will operate pretty well with a fair amount of load. I'd expect you to be able to mount the C8 and get good results for the moon and planets. With that setup for deep sky, I think I'd probably try the OAG (Off axis) route. You'll need guiding with the long focal length, and an OAG will keep the load lower. If you can afford it, getting an ED80 and the HEQ5 is probably a far easier proposition to get started with though... you could use an OAG with that, but a finder or ST80 as a guidescope will work great.

I'd go for 1. The longish focal length of the C8 will make it more challenging to autoguide, it's a slow scope so you need more imaging time on any given target, and it has a relatively narrow field of view which restricts your DSO targets.

I use my CG-5 often for imaging with my 90mm triplet and it is very capable as an imaging platform for this scope and I'm very happy with the results (when I can actually get outside!)

You specify AP in the title of the thread, so this is my ideas for what it's worth.

HEQ5 and a small ED80 scope for starters. For a guidescope you can use a finder scope with an adaptor that will allow you to connect either a camera (will need a PC) or a synguider (No PC required). What camera are you planning on using? If you are using a DSLR, you really would benefit hugely from a reducer / flattener, which will set you back another £100 at least.

The BEST money you could ever spent at this point in time is £20 on the book 'Making every photon count' which you will find in the book section of the FLO site. This really does explain all you need to know for AP.

I wouldn't rule out second hand. The best scope buy ever that I made and one that will be buried with me was second hand. It will enable you to get more gear which will help you a lot.

I don't think that this will fit within your budget at this time. So I'd save until you have enough!

Thanks All. Decided for once in my life not to be hasty and instead take onboard all the advice. I'm going to buy the HEQ5pro mount and spend the winter learning to align it and use it properly. For now I'll stick with solar system imaging with my c8 and webcam to learn some imaging basics and how to get the best from registax. Once I'm comfortable I'll look into a DSO specific imaging scope and guide bits early on next year when I have a bit more cash to play with. One day I may find a hobby that doesn't cost a fortune.....lol!

Thanks again every,

Peter

Archived