NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I'm here to learn

Good evening all,

This is my first post and I apologise if there are other threads that I should be turning my attention to as opposed to creating a new thread but, as the topic title suggests, I am on this forum to learn and I'm hoping you guys 'n' gals can give me the best advice to get going.

I've had a keen interest in the sky for about a year now, I make sure to look up every time the ISS passes over and have been to my local science centre for an evening of learning in their planetarium.

I have a small amount of knowledge of some constellations and stars, and I can generally guess which planets are which in the night sky (I'd like to think these are educated guesses, but sometimes it (literally) is just a stab in the dark).

I have been using Google Sky Maps on my Android phone to try and familiarise myself with the lights overhead but I think I'd really benefit from getting a good book with a sky map and a pair of binoculars to help get me to the next stage. I have read this great article posted in the beginners' board and know not to dive straight in with a telescope. http://www.wwnorton....startright.html

I'd really appreciate any help you can all give in terms of a good set of book/map/binoculars that I could buy to get my teeth into this exciting new hobby, I'm not looking to spend the world, but if you guys think something is worth buying for a beginner, I will sure be happy to take your advice. (I'm from the UK FYI so somewhere this side of the pond or online would be ideal!)

Thanks for all the great advice I've read on other posts too, it's already help me focus my attention in the right areas (I hope).

Cheers!

Kia

Hi and welcome to SGL

I've recommended the items below as I've used the bins and own the book and atlas so can vouch for them. I've also included a link for the Federation of Astronomical Societies so that you can find a club local to you and attend a meeting and/or public star party.

One more tip, adapt a torch so that it shows red light. Do this by painting the lens with nail varnish / glass paint or covering it with a sweet wrapper or similar. White light and observing do not mix!

Bins: http://www.telescope...cial_Offer.html

Book: http://www.amazon.co...50422469&sr=1-1

Atlas: http://www.amazon.co...50422535&sr=1-1

Clubs: http://fedastro.org.uk/fas/members/

HTH!

First of all - Stellarium....where have you been all my life? Great way to get started for sure.

Thanks so much for your prompt responses, those bins look great value for sure. Are 10x50s a better shout than 15x70s with tripod to start with? Obviously in terms of expense the 10x50s represent a lower starting point but I want to give myself the best shot at running with this hobby.

Books look great too, so on the verge of making some ill-advised mid-month purchases right now, shame my skies down South are cloudy tonight!

The skies cleared up so I made the purchases, some great reviews on all of the above so VERY excited to get my hands on it all!

One more tip, adapt a torch so that it shows red light. Do this by painting the lens with nail varnish / glass paint or covering it with a sweet wrapper or similar. White light and observing do not mix!

I'm assuming this would be with red varnish/paint/sweet wrappers??

Thanks all for warm welcomes.

I'm assuming this would be with red varnish/paint/sweet wrappers??

Hi

Yup, red tinted plastic such as Babybel wrappers is fine. I use a roll of brake light repair tape from a car spares shop, a few strips of that over the business end of a torch and you're in business!

10x50 bins are presented as the ideal spec for starting out in astronomy as this combination of magnification (10x) and aperture (50mm) captures enough light to show you a decent amount of objects and the mag to resolve them in detail. The 15x70s are great observing bins but size and weight mean that you need a tripod to use them successfully and is a set up to move onto if binocular observing is your thing. SGL has dedicated binocular subforums so check these out if you haven't done so already.

It's definitely worth looking at a local club so that you can try out several types / makes of telescope before taking the plunge and buying one. Also, talking to like-minded people helps and you will pick up loads of advice and a few mates along the way.

I hope this helps and if you need any other info or advice then ask away.

Stellarium is definatly a wonderful tool. Welcome to the hobby and SGL. Just wait till you get a bit of aperture fever. Just remember to ask the forums before you buy anything expensive. Chances are, most of us have made the mistakes involving gear already.

Thanks for all the help guys. For the next week or so I'm going to be running to the window every time I hear a car door slam thinking it's going to be my bins and books!

Going to check out my local clubs too!

Turn Left at Orion is a great book. Alternatively, I really like the Collins Gem Stars pocket (and I mean pocket!) sky atlas for about a fiver.

Happy hunting!

I really like the Collins Gem book - fits easily into a pocket and contains huge amounts of information!

Welcome to SGL - you'll find fantastic information here on subjects you never knew existed!!

Archived