Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

my second attempt at a DSO NGC7000

Velvet

Lots to admire there. I think the black point is a little clipped so you are losing some of your faintest data. Maybe leave a bit more to the left of the main peak?

Anyway a fine old start to AP.

Olly

sorry to be stupid, but black point? this is only my second image, what did i do wrong i thought you had to clip each side of the peak?

Velvet

Cracking 2nd DSO. As far as clipping goes, if you look at the histogram you should be able to see both sides taper down to zero. It is often tempting to clip the black point because it makes the sky background darker and cleaner and contrast appears enhanced but it is an artificial effect and faint details are lost.

Cracking 2nd DSO. As far as clipping goes, if you look at the histogram you should be able to see both sides taper down to zero. It is often tempting to clip the black point because it makes the sky background darker and cleaner and contrast appears enhanced but it is an artificial effect and faint details are lost.

ah thanks, i will remember that on the next one

Velvet

Archived