Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Preliminary results from the IDS e2v CMOS camera

budski

I've been waiting for a clear spell for at least two months to give the IDS e2v CMOS (monochrome) chip a good trial.

Usual set-up: C11 at f20 then AS2!, R6 wavelets and WinJupos for de-rotate.

Colour balance is horrible and the Blue channel was noisy.

I've a whole stack of avi's to work through so I'll post them as soon as possible.

Bud

PS: As an experiment I've posted both the TIF file and a JPG of this same picture to see if they look different to you.

J_05-06UT_14-10-2012LRGB.tif

post-6215-0-22316000-1350245448_thumb.jp

The colors are bit off, but I've managed to bring more of them. Usually when you want a X-RGB image (LRGB, IR-RGB or other) the R,G,B channels may be noisy, may be even blurred to limit the noise. Just the luminance image must be sharp and clean. The it will give a nice image.

post-5460-0-43645000-1350248128_thumb.jp

Thank you Piotr for your additional work to improve the image - very much appreciated. I was thinking the other day that it would be great to have an assistant like Caroline Herschel, sister to Sir William (especially if she looked like the latest 007 Bond girl....) but as it is I have hundreds of megabytes of avi's to wade through all by myself.

To the Dark Lord (aka Neil) and any one else who might be interested:

The camera is known as IDS UI-3240CP-NIR-GL. The NIR bit stands for Near Infra Red and GL means (clear) Glass. (An IR filter option is also available to make it usable in terrestrial applications). The sensor is a 1/1.8 CMOS unit 1280x1024 x5.3um pixels with both Global and Rolling shutter options although I've yet to test it fully in the Rolling shutter mode. It has to run on a USB3 bus to maintin throughput at full resolution (1280x1024 @ 60fps) but can be set to an ROI of 640x480 which would allow the unit to run at a max of 120 fps - but I've yet to verify this. My test script is only half-way through due to such bad weather for the last 3 months. IDS's software is not astro friendly (I gave up on it very early on) but luckily Torsten (of FireCapture fame) has let me use/test his v2.2 Beta version of the capture program which supports this camera. No two imaging sessions have been the same on account of the weather so I haven't been able to establish a good Planetary benchmark. Lunar images, on the other hand, are simply magnificent - especially at full resolution. I'll post more results as and when I can.

Regards

Bud

PS: Check out this coming week's issue of Astronomy Now (Nov 2012) for an insight to my operation

Archived