Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tal Alcor

I recently purchased a nice little Tal Alcor for my son from a website for our area. Not bad £25.

My son is 6 and we've used it on the moon so far. He loves it and it gives nice sharp images.

Just looking for a little bit of advice/help if possible please?

First off I took it out of the lovely pine case in a rush to put together, but forgot to note which bit went where and now I can't put it back! :unsure:

Secondly, the foam in the box has degenerated and stuck to the OTA, mount etc. It is incredibly sticky and gets all over our hands. Any ideas how to remove please? The scope is dated 1994 on the box.

Lastly, the primary has no centre doughnut. I can climate by eye and with a laser, but is there a method of making sure it is really accurate or do I need to add a doughnut? If the latter does anywhere sell them?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Oooh. Luverly!

I have a really old version. Battleship grey and with a threaded together pillar. It has a fitted out case, polystyrene free. I've got a few pics in here.....

If you or someone you know has the tools and could make the shaped wooden inserts, you could convert your case. I could take down the sizes and positions etc.

Have you tried wiping the gunk off with white spirit soaked cloth?

As for collimation, I just use the spacer tube to help position my eye and collimate that way. Final primary adjustment done with tweeks of the screws on a bright star. I have considered getting a tiny .94" collimation cap made up to help.

Hi.

Sorry must have missed that bit in your original question.

The secondary is very very small on the alcor, so rather than stick a doughnut on the primary, I simply centre spotted mine with a 'magic marker'. I traced out a paper templet with a compass n pencil, cut it out & poked through the hole to open it out a bit more.

Andy.

ps: the link works for me, but you could use the link in my sig line and have a hunt in there.

Archived