Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flats - im sure this has been asked before

You don't have to shoot flats at the same time but you need to avoid changing anything in your setup. The camera angle and the focus must not change and no new dust should be allowed onto any filters etc. So doing them fairly close in time to your lights is safest. Probably do them at the same time if you do not have a permanent setup?

Your exposure time should get the flats to be exposed to about a third to two thirds of saturation. (The peak in the histogram should be a third to two thirds of the way to the right. Personally I prefer a third of the way.) This will not be the minimum your camera can do if using a sensible light source.

Olly

Don't change the orientation of the camera in the focuser or change the focus position very much. Slewing the scope (e.g. back to the home position) should be okay. I always take flats at the same iso as the lights just in case. Same with darks and bias. I don't know if it matters for the flats, but (if you take enough of them) it doesn't hurt either.

Archived