NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using a modified a dslr camera for normal photography

cfpendock

I have a standard off the shelf Canon 550d. My question is: if I modified this camera by replacing the standard IR filter with a Baader type IR cut filter, could I then use the camera for normal photography and subsequently reduce the excess red using image processing software?

I would appreciate any advice on this, as I use the camera mostly for normal photography. Probably someone has already tried it?

Thanks in advance.

I'd say it's nigh impossible to remove IR effects with post processing.

However I have heard about people screwing on IR filters for normal use after they have modded their DSLR. Cant find any retailers though after a simple google, so they might be hard to find.

Personally I think I'll keep the DSLR a virgin and invest in a CCD at some point.

You should be able to set up a special white balance to use for normal photography. Basically set the camera up facing a white screen and "tell" it that the image is white - I think the exact method should be explained in the camera manual - I dont have a 550 so can't be more explicit.

It's not the IR filter that's removed during the mod, it's the colour balance filter. The UV and IR is still blocked by the front anti alias filter.

All the mod does is to enhance the transmission of the red part of the visual spectrum.

A CWB can be used to obtain acceptable daytime images.

Thanks for all the replies. That is interesting, Merlin. By CWB do you mean a white balance as described by Roger above? I can do this on the software supplied with the camera. Otherwise I am tempted to follow the advice of Carl.

Chris

Thanks for all the replies. That is interesting, Merlin. By CWB do you mean a white balance as described by Roger above? I can do this on the software supplied with the camera. Otherwise I am tempted to follow the advice of Carl.

Chris

Just make sure I'm not giving you false advice, I've no first hand experience with screw on filters for this.

The CWB procedure is pretty straightforward.. there are a couple of videos on youtube, vimeo etc...

Here's a link to one with a commentary some don't bother and just show you which buttons to press...

http://www.learningdslrvideo.com/custom-white-balance/

I have used it on a modified (filter replaced) 1000D the CWB is more important if you are shooting jegs as you can change the white balance on raws in the "development" process... it's still worth doing the CWB imagethough as this will be one of the WB "options" in the development program

Peter...

Thanks. Carl, I agree with your logic - the filter should be able to be mounted anywhere on the light path, so even though you haven't tried it I believe it should work.

I saw the video Peter, thanks for the link. Just as I suspected, a lot can be done using the built in software, either on the camera or the Canon development software.

But I haven't decided yet. It seems to me that one can get "sucked in" to this astrophotography game, and I am ever conscious of the budget and when to stop......

Chris

Archived