Dark Skies

Not as easy as a google map look up.

Try this:

http://www.avex-asso...l/uk/index.html

But no real definition when you zoom in.

Actually there is, put mouse over Widnes and keep clicking, eventually the places and roads turn up.

Situation of it seems to get worse before it gets better.

For you it looks like closest is somewhere between Chester and Northwich = Delamere area. Delamere Forest Park perhaps.

Better south of Tarporley

West of Wrexham/Mold looks dark as well.

You could try heading into north wales, llangollen way is suposed to be good but not managed to get there with my scope yet. I live in chester and it takes about 30mins so your probably looking at a 50-60 min drive. some of the lanes around peckforton look quite dark too.

If you're looking for a dark site, Llyn Brenig is a good place to go, don't go to the visitor centre but go to where the the archeaological trails are on the east side of the lake.

Delamere Forest is another good place to go to, it's not as good as Llyn Brenig but it's reasonably dark but you might have to park your car at the side of the road because they usually lock the gates to the car parks at night.

Another place to go is by Moel Famau, not the car park for Moel Famau but the one further ahead by the cattle grids where the road drops away, again you might have to park at the side of the road. I went there last winter and luckily they hadn't locked the gates so I could drive in. The sky conditions are better than Delamere Forest, you can definately see a hint of the Milky Way but it's still not as good as Brenig.

For me, Llyn Brenig is about 1h 40m drive away while Moel Famau is an hours drive from Liverpool city centre.

Delamere forest is not bad compared to Widnes.

on clear nights the milkyway is readily visible.

The Liverpool astronomy society based at Pex hill have regular delamere meets.

They have permission to enter the forest after dark.

usually a good number of people attend.

the other suggestions of Llyn Brenig and Moel Famau are good as well

, although they have started locking the carpark at sundown making it a bit more awkward.

Archived