Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help needed on imaging planets using a macbook pro

ilove1995

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Celestron Nexstar 4se and would like to start imaging planets though I am totally new to this with any imaging so far done on my DSLR which I know is not suitable for planets. The following CCD camera interests me as I would like to think this would remain suitable if ever I decide to upgrade to a larger scope for solar imaging (not DSO). My main concern is to do with software, as I understand it software for CCD cameras/webcams are marketed more towards Windows whereas I plan to do imaging via a MacBook Pro having recently donated my windows laptop to a family member.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/imaging-source-cameras/dfk-21au04as-colour.html

The reason I've added this to the camera section rather than software is because I'm hoping to get advice both on what camera to purchase as well as finding out about any suitable software for MACs. I contacted FLO earlier who recommended astro IIDC but I understand the software is about to be discontinued.

Hoping someone can help me out here.

Many Thanks

Al

Hi

Don't know if it helps but Lynkeos which is a stacking program for mac is very good once you understand how to use its features, I tried both it and the usual windows programs and it gives comparable results, problem is that until you do understand you may be underwhelmed. It accepts mov and avi formats

Also if you need to do file conversions look at quicktime pro from apple or compressor from apple (compressor allows you to clip your file like the windows prog castrator plus it allows you to change file formats as well - bit tricky to use though)

Archived