Opinions please :)

Hi all and firstly may I say what's great forum.

The advice for choosing a first telescope has already been invaluable.

I think I know what to get but would like opinions and maybe suggestions for best buy or offers?

Ok so I think the celestron astomaster 130eq looks a good starting instrument.

I live in a semi rural area with moderate light pollution and an average sky range from my rear garden. I plan to set the scope up in my conservatory and will rarely move it.

I have found them for £150 on eBay which seems very good for a new item. I am considering paying a bit extra for a mechanically driven option.

So please give me thoughts and advice. I am green as grass so all advice would be appreciated and helpful.

Thanks again.

Warren

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first piece of advice I'd give you is get out of that conservatory. Astronomy is an outdoor hobby, you will get escaping heat from the indoors rising right in front of your scope making any image blurry, not to mention if you are not outside surely you at best would only get 180 degrees of sky to look at.

Think long term also - like do you want to get into photography at any point because if you do start saving. If you just happy observing i've heard the 130 is a decent enough starting point, but do (and here is the best advice I was given) get a copy of 'Turn left at Orion' it will show you exactly what you can expect to see. Nothing worse than seeing Hubble pictures and thinking you'll get anywhere close to them.

Really though, get that book!

Paul

Hi all and firstly may I say what's great forum.

The advice for choosing a first telescope has already been invaluable.

I think I know what to get but would like opinions and maybe suggestions for best buy or offers?

Ok so I think the celestron astomaster 130eq looks a good starting instrument.

I live in a semi rural area with moderate light pollution and an average sky range from my rear garden. I plan to set the scope up in my conservatory and will rarely move it.

I have found them for £150 on eBay which seems very good for a new item. I am considering paying a bit extra for a mechanically driven option.

So please give me thoughts and advice. I am green as grass so all advice would be appreciated and helpful.

Thanks again.

Warren

Its not the best idea to store a telescope in a conservatory, because they are too moist (the conservatory I mean) which eventually will damage the telescope, also like stated by mogga you will be limited to 180 degrees of sky.

Great advice thanks Paul.

I shall certainly get outdoors although a few woollen jumpers may be required and will look out for the book too. I've bought astronomy a self teaching guide but turn left at Orion sounds a bit more telescope based.

Photography is definitely and ambition but I think a few years down the line first. I would imagine a good camera to be essential also so must be looking at a decent canon at the very least.

Thanks again

hi and welcom to SGL i have to agree with paul astronomy is an outdoor hobby, i would recomend spending some of your budget on good out door gear to keep you warm and your experience will be much improved. good luck.

I was bought the astromaster for my first scope and I have to say that after a few mods I love it. Firstly the finder on it is almost impossible to use - but I upgraded to a simple RDF for less than £20 - it's now a delight to use. Secondly the mount is pretty shaky and the plastic bits are a bit fragile - had to reinforce a few bits too. Having said all that, I now love it - the optics seem as good as my kids' skyliner 150p but a lot cheaper. Do get turn left at Orion - it's a great book. Hope that helps :smiley:

Back in January I bought an Astromaster 130 motor drive from PC World for 150. Might be worth checking out as they may be discontinued so bargains may be there to be had.

Wihout meaning to put you off, I couldn,t get the hang of the head and the tripod was a bit shakey for my liking.

Whateveryou end up with, good luck and clear skies.

Great advice thanks Paul.

I shall certainly get outdoors although a few woollen jumpers may be required and will look out for the book too. I've bought astronomy a self teaching guide but turn left at Orion sounds a bit more telescope based.

Photography is definitely and ambition but I think a few years down the line first. I would imagine a good camera to be essential also so must be looking at a decent canon at the very least.

Thanks again

No problem Warren

I am new to this too and even though I knew i wouldn't get 'hubble images' through my setup I have to admit I was slighty disappointed that I didn't get colour nebulae. Which is why TLAO is the book of choice as it will show you exactly how you will see objects in Binos, Small scopes and larger scopes.

I've just bought the Canon 1100D but not had a good crack with it yet, but for future ref you will need a minimum HEQ5 mount (with a goto will be c.£800) the mount is all important as I have found out that my setup is right on the very limit with my tube and a camera.

So get saving, but loads to enjoy with your 130 for starters, the great news is that all this kit really doesn't depreciate at all.

The main problem that comes up regularly on this forum with this scope is the finder otherwise it's the same scope as this one http://www.firstligh...lorer-130p.html

If you want to put a camera on it you can't because the focus doesn't have enough inward travel and the mount and tripod are adequate but not great. Having said that the optics for it's size are rather good and on the whole it's a pretty decent little starter scope. To my eyes the only reason to get a gem mount is to use it for photography but this mount and scope will not allow you to do that. If it really is the top of your budget I would say go for it although the skywatcher one in the link I have shown is a lot better built. If you just want the good optics at a cheaper price and a more convenient scope to boot I would get this it is a little cheaper http://www.firstligh...p-flextube.html and if you could afford a little more this one

http://www.firstligh...-dobsonian.html that extra inch apparture makes a surprising difference to your views. To sum up. the scope you propose is heaps better than any of the ebay specials but there are cheaper and better deals to be had at astro shops have a google for skywatcher stockists

Warren, welcome to the forum. You haven't stated the maximum budget you have, or your particular interest, but you've hinted that £150 is something you are willing to pay. If so then I would suggest you have a look on flebay for the 150P. These scopes will perform a lot better than the 130, and will allow you to connect a small dSLR such as a Canon 350d / 400D etc should you want to take some short astro-images. An un-motorised one sold for around £180 today, and this one which has the dual axis drives is currently £100 with a day left ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221135418198?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 )

The 150P should cater for your needs, and should you find the cold winter nights too much the bear, it has a better resale value than the 130p. Failing that, and if the 150P is out of your budget then the 130P will do just fine for visual observing.

I've been on many forums for various things in the past an have never had so many warm and welcoming and most importantly, helpful responses. I've got some great feedback here and a few things to consider. Will start by reading the links and checking back at flebay :) my partner is buying me this for Xmas as its an area I've always wanted to get into but with a son on the way in November the cost has to fit so 150 is about max but it sound like I can get a great staring piece for that. The next few years and good resale costs should allow me to upgrade as I go. Thanks again so much to all. Really appreciate your comments and links :)))

I can only second what has been said above.......................

Get out of the conservatory (if you can) because your scope will encounter all sorts of heat thermals from being used inside, not to mention the double glazing of the glass. This will play havoc when observing planets........you will see 3 different planets..............all different colours and all blurred.

If you cant get outside due to mobility issues................then open the doors and observe from the doors of the conservatory.

Regarding your scope and budget. It depends what you want. You can buy the Skywatcher Explorer 130(P) on an equatorial mount for that price or close to or you could buy the Skywatcher Heritage 130P (its on a Dobsonian mount) for your budget.

Both great starter scopes.

I'm not sure how much the motorised version of the Skywatcher Explorer 130P is, but just click on the banner at the top of the page and you can see what the cost is from First Light Optics (FLO). You can buy the standard EQ model and then add a dual or single axis motor to it for very little cost (i think).

Brilliant company to deal with.

Welcome to SGL.

Paul.

The main problem that comes up regularly on this forum with this scope is the finder otherwise it's the same scope as this one http://www.firstligh...lorer-130p.html

If you want to put a camera on it you can't because the focus doesn't have enough inward travel and the mount and tripod are adequate but not great. Having said that the optics for it's size are rather good and on the whole it's a pretty decent little starter scope. To my eyes the only reason to get a gem mount is to use it for photography but this mount and scope will not allow you to do that. If it really is the top of your budget I would say go for it although the skywatcher one in the link I have shown is a lot better built.

Welcome to forum Warren! Further to quote above note that the 130 EQ is not a parabolic primary mirror like the Skywatcher 130P. I think the 130P is a good mount and am a new addition to the hobby like yourself. Personally I like the red dot finder. Amazon have both and 130EQ is 136 while 130P is 175 (what I paid for mine). In the end you'll have to abide by her budget, unless you give up the socking presents too in order to stretch to 175. I absolutely love mine and just seemed like a bigger deal than the 127EQ I nearly paid 200 for!!!!!!!! Shop around and maybe eBay is a good option as people upgrade. In the end I over researched what was out there and had to just close my eyes and point!

Further to quote above note that the 130 EQ is not a parabolic primary mirror like the Skywatcher 130P.

No it sure isn't. Thats why i put the (P) in there to show that there is a standard mirror or a parabolic available. Parabolic mirrors (P) are better for concentrating incoming light.

Sorry i should have made this point clearer in my post.

Welcome friend.

You should definetly start outside, if you remain in your back garden you can always pop in for a cup of tea when the cold is biting. If you get really star struck (maybe a matter of time just) I fully expect you to install a permanent observatory with a roll off roof in your by then refitted conservatory, thats what I would have done ;)

I can't give you any advice about the scopes, I can just tell you what I decided for myself recently. I settled for an expensive mount (Skywatcher NEQ6) and a cheaper newtonian (Skywatcher Explorer 150PDS) to start out with This way I wont EVER have to upgrade the mount, and can easily put on a stronger more expensive scope later on. The 150PDS is a good photo tube and the focal length of 750mm puts me right in the zone for larger photogenic DSO's.

Let us know how it turns out.

Firstlight Optics also have the 130P for £175. It's worth opting for the P version (parabolic mirror) and and if you want to add the motor drive at a later stage it's only £31 more,

One thing - If you are looking at Ebay don't what every you do get a Seban or similar scope..... stick with Skywatcher, Celestron or similar brand that are featured in mainstream dealerships

I read somewhere that the the astromaster had a parabolic mirror this was the first link I found when I googled to check I think you will agree they are a respectable telescope sales shop

http://www.teleskop-...n-Teleskop.html and here is the thread where I read it originally

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/133179-celestron-130eq-info/

I read somewhere that the the astromaster had a parabolic mirror this was the first link I found when I googled to check I think you will agree they are a respectable telescope sales shop

http://www.teleskop-...n-Teleskop.html and here is the thread where I read it originally

http://stargazerslou...ron-130eq-info/

I read that thread too a few weeks back and was then confused about whether it was Parabolic or not. In the end, I didn't want to take the chance and went with the principle to get the best possible optics. There must be some reasons why the SW costs nearly 40 pounds more.

Well guys I think it's definitely between the celestron 130eq (don't think I need md if not taking images from the replies here) or for that bit extra the skywatcher 130p. It's sound like the stability and image clarity it that bit better with the skywatcher and I would hate to be put of something that has amazed me for year with rickety equipment. I think I will go for the skywatcher an a you guys have pointed out I can add on to this later on. Very much agree from eBay that try hold thier value also so maybe next year I can sell and upgrade in time for this comet in November. Fingers crossed it put on a good show and doesn't just break up :) I might just have that conservatory roof conversion by them to lol :) thanks again to all you have been a great help and left a complete novice feeling well versed in beginner kits. I will let you all know how I get on and what I went with :) happy gazing

Look forward to hearing back Warren and best of luck! You'll be happy when the box comes and you see how big it is and how HEAVY!!!!! It ain't no cheap drug store jobbie that claims it will magnify up to 500x! :eek:

Got me wondering about that comet now.....

Archived