Skywatcher Dual-Speed Low Profile Crayford

Hey, I'm looking to upgrade the standard focusser on my Skywatcher 200P, I've been looking at the Skywatcher Dual-Speed Low Profile Crayford one. I've just a few questions.

Will this be suitable for my telescope?

It mentions on the product description that it is a direct replacement, is it just a case of like for like? (Is it that simple)?

On the standard focusser it has the direct SLR connection, would it be the same on this one?

Is it worth upgrading the focusser, has anyone got any other recomendations?

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

I would consider this one http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation-Superfocus-2-inch-Newtonian-Rack-n-Pinion-Focuser.html

very similar but with R&P which is far better than a Crayford style.

You will need a T Adapter as it does not come with one as standard.

Neither will be a direct replacement, you will probably need to put new holes in the tube with both.

I upgraded my focuser on my 200p for a moonlite dual speed with the installation kit

Best money I've spent but alot more than the skywatcher

Also if you go low profile you may need an extension to reach focus on some ep's if it is for observation

Not sure about the direct dslr connection on the low profile

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earl - Thanks for the recommendation I will have a look at that.

I've got the T-adapter setup on my camera to the original focuser, so will the one you recommended be pretty similar setup? (Camera > T-adapter > then split the EP holder > into focuser)?

mdhardy - Thanks for the reply, how did your new low profile improve so much with regards to using the old one?

I've read up about using a extension tube whilst observing, I've read somewhere that they used a old Barlow lens which the optics taken out. I've got a run down Barlow I could use if that would be ok. Or maybe just as easy buying a extension tube.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I recently upgraded the focuser on my 250px. The SW low profile fits in the existing bolt holes so it's a straight swap out. I did need to get a 35mm extension tube as I couldn't focus, picked one up from http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16444 for £18.00. It's much better the origional focuser but not having used other makes I can't give you much of a comparison.

Good luck

I have a Moonlite CR2, http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moonlite-focusers/moonlite-cr-dual-rate-tri-knob-crayford-focuser-for-newtonians.html, on my 200P tube also. It is probably the best upgrade I have made as it is so smooth and easy to use. I did have to, very slightly enlarge two of the mounting holes on my tube, but that was not difficult - have a look at Astro Baby's website, im sure she's reviewed the Moonlite and fitted one to her 200P. A lot of money mind you, so it should be good! It is a crayford design, made to a very high standard and should be one that will lasy a long time, as long as I look after it! Some people prefer crayfords and some prefer rack and pinion designs, I guess it depends on how well made they are, sometimes you get what you pay for!

The Revelation focuser Earl has found looks interesting! It's described as a hybrid R&P / crayford design! I would like to see a few reviews first mind you!

If you choose to buy the SkyWatcher one, (looks very like the Revelation one!?) I don't think you'll be disappointed at all, I think it will be very much nicer to use than the standard one. Saying that, I seem to remember that the standard focuser on my 200P was actually quite good, I think I sold it to someone who was building a big Dob mounted tube and they were quite happy with it!

Doc

It depends on how much you want to spend and whether you intend at some stage to venture into the dark side with AP, If you have the money go for the best such as Moonlite or Feathertouch, beautiful pieces of engineering, but at a cost. If you are intending to go down this route, as you mention the SLR connection then the best you can afford. I think you will find that most come with the correct mounting plates for the scope or with a just a little alteration to make them fit, not being a mirror man there will be those that can advise you better in this respect, but I have a Moonlite on my refractor and I do not regret paying the extra for it one bit :)

John.

Archived