power query

It only has an 8Ahr battery in it so if your mount is taking 1A and your laptop 2-3A you might get 2 hours out of it.

I can't understand how they can describe these as suitable for starting cars it wouldn't stand a chance :(

Personally I use a large leisure battery and charger which is more expensive but will easily last all night and will still be working in 5 years time if you keep it charged up.

That one is really weaksauce for that price. I think you should look for ones with atleast 17Ah. Can't recommend you any specifics since I have no idea what the cheap british car retailers are, but in sweden I can find 17 or 19Ah for roughly the same price as that one.

I'm thinking about getting me one of the 17Ah ones when my scope arrives but I realise I might end up lugging around a car battery at one point ;)

I did some searching myself since I am also considering this.

http://myastroimages.com/Equipment/Telescope_Field_Battery_DIY/index.php This is the best I could come up with. Seems pretty easy and should answer specific questions way better than I can. Seems you need a battery that can handle discharge unlike a normal car battery though. As long as you connect the wires right (and dont zap yourself), everything else is cosmetics. A guy I know has a loose battery and some some easy cords, and he has a mount, cameras, focusers, laptops etc.

HI Mark, like Photoswithkev I too use a leisure battery which allows me to run an NEQ6, laptop, dew heater and straps all night whilst slewing the scope around all night. You can purchase connections for the battery from any camping shop, which provides a female socket into which you can plug a multiple 'splitter' which can be found in any car auto parts retailers or companies like maplins. In the Equipment DIY section there are many examples of 'power hubs' people have made using a leisure battery with a number of bells and whistles to help you check output etc and certainly an exciting project that isn't too complicated when the clouds come in. The Skywatcher power packs are fine and have various lights/bells attached to them but in my opinion are very over priced for what they are and for what you want to be pulling from them not really adequate when you factor in the very cold temperatures that you can experience in the early hours of the morning which will sap the life out of any battery.

james

Hi marc1980.I was advised against goin down the power tank route by friends ive met at starparty's.

I bought a good quality 100ah marine/lesuire battery for £100 and with the help of a good friend we built a power box fitted with Hella sockets 12,9 & 3 amp rated which are similar to cigarette lighter socket but better.

You then feed the box using 2core 1.5mm artic cable,good for low tempretures in the cold using again hella plug ends.

Wire a adaptable box and glue to top of battery,you then just plug your cable from battery box to power box.I power my neq6 set up this way with 12v cigarette lead that came with it.

You could power a mount,laptop,dew heaters ,12v lights and even your phone.

With a little pratical knowledge of low voltage wiring you build a box to suit your needs.

A 100ah rating battery will power your set up in the field for many nights,great for starcamps.

The cable and sockets/plug costs,plus battery cost shouldn't be anymore than the price of a SW17ah powertank but last you years if battery is looked after.

Sorry I have no pics as I can't from htc I use on SGL.

Hope this helps you in your choice.

Goodluck

Kenny

Archived