NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Some widefield images near Arlanda airport, Sweden

Since this was my first experiment with my Nikon D5100 DSLR I didn't expect any results Location is outside my hometown near Arlanda Airport north of Stockholm. Images are unedited except scale. The sky seem much brighter in the images than experienced while taking them.

Pleiades and Jupiter

This first one I'm most satisfied with. I love the Pleiades and it wasn't until I showed the picture to some friendsin the nearby astronomers club that I realised it was Jupiter and not a star (I find my way around Stellarium better nowadays).

Big Dipper

The Plow also known as Karlavagnen in Sweden (it used to be called Odins Wagon back in anicent times).

Cassiopeia, Perseus and Andromeda

I didn't realise it at first but I got a lot of goodies in this one like Cassiopeia and the Andromeda Galaxy just next to the tree.

Satellite (or meteor) trail

It seems I caught a satellite flare (or possibly a meteor) when hunting for the Plow.

All in all I'm really happy with the results for just some point and shoot experiments with various settings (with a kit lens). Can't wait to see what I can really do with my new mount and newton that is due to arrive shortly and when I go outside town to darker skies.

Thanks for watching

Carl

Thanks for your kind words! It's very addictive! And I get pumped when I realise what a result I can get with just a standard lens and a tripod. I see a lot of exciting imaging very soon when I have a nice little scope to fool around with!

Cheers

Archived