SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Veil Nebula Canon 350D, 200P on EQ5 mod

pixueto

I thought we were supposed to have a rainy weekend here in SE London? That's what got me into removing the filter. Typical! Clear skies since dusk. Dear, dear! I could have been imaging a lovely nebula full of red hydrogen clouds (or at the very least a lovely galaxy with an unmodded cam). ..and here I am, searching the web for ideas about removing stripped screws!!!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely it can't be the camera! It must be me being hopeless! Well, I ordered the JIS Japanese Industry Standard screwdrivers from amazon (another £20 - maybe I should've paid for the mod!) and I don't have much hope that this will work as the screws are already a bit stripped. I took the camera to mapplin todat to see if they had a screw extractor small enough for those screws but no luck. This is so frustrating!!!!

If that doesn't work, I've seem in the web precission screw stractors for £40. That would be the last resort abd if I get to that point, I would have spent:

-£20 solder iron

-£10 philips screwdrivers

-£20 Japanese JIS screwdrivers

-£40 precission screw estractors

-£3 dust mask

-£5 solder and wick

-£2 antistatic bags

So £100 (if I end up buying the screw extractors). I think that's what they charge you for the mod!!!

Well, I could say that I'm learning from the process and there is the satisfaction of doing it yourself but... it isn't clear at all that I'm going to succeed and I might end up damaging the camera.

The mod to just remove the filter cost £190, when I looked. That's why I did it myself.

Hope you get it sorted.

Pel.

Good grief Pix what a nightmare with the mod mine was never that much hassle but I did get a good screwdriver to get the little swines out as some of them were really stiff. Great pic of the Veil by the way lots of lovely detail in there. Hope you can get the last bit done and that filter taken out as when the filter is taken out it really does make a big difference to your images.

Good grief Pix what a nightmare with the mod mine was never that much hassle but I did get a good screwdriver to get the little swines out as some of them were really stiff. Great pic of the Veil by the way lots of lovely detail in there. Hope you can get the last bit done and that filter taken out as when the filter is taken out it really does make a big difference to your images.

Thanks QM, I'm waiting for the Japanese precision screwdrivers to come and see if I manage to get to the filter. I've got my camera in pieces in antistatic bags! Y missed a lovely clear moonless night last Saturday because of this. It's so frustrating!

Archived